- J.D., Washington and Lee University School of Law, 2011, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Washington and Lee Law Review
- B.S., University of Virginia, 2006
Alex Merritt is an associate in the Real Estate, Environmental, and Land Use and Natural Resources practice group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Alex’s practice focuses on land use matters and real estate litigation. He assists developers and property owners in complying with CEQA and planning and zoning regulations; obtaining development entitlements and regulatory approvals; drafting transactional real estate documents and conservation easements; and litigating land use and real estate cases involving CEQA, planning and zoning laws, development fees, and lease disputes. Alex has worked on a variety of residential, commercial, mixed-use, and office projects throughout the Bay Area and California. He also advises clients on the National Environmental Policy Act, Federal Clean Water Act, Porter-Cologne Act, Federal Endangered Species Act, Subdivision Map Act, Brown Act, and Public Records Act.
- "Confession of Error by Administrative Agencies," Washington and Lee Law Review, (2010).
Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Law Blog Posts
- "District Court Provides Guidance On Climate Change Analysis Under NEPA," April 15, 2019
- "Five Years in the Making: California is One Step Closer to a Comprehensive Update to the CEQA Guidelines," January 7, 2019
- "California Supreme Court Announces New Test for CEQA “Unusual Circumstances” Exception," March 6, 2015
- "District Court Strikes Down Regulation of Purely Intrastate Species on Private Land," November 11, 2014
- "Utility Pole Not A Point Source Under The Clean Water Act," April 16, 2013
- "River Segment Must Be Navigable In Fact For Commercial Purposes At Statehood For State To Obtain Title To Riverbed Under The Equal Footing Doctrine," March 5, 2012
- "New And Revised Nationwide Permits For Dredge And Fill Activities," February 22, 2012
- "OPR Releases Proposed Guidelines for Streamlining CEQA Review of Infill Projects," February 7, 2012
- "Superior Court Strikes Down Numeric Effluent Limits in California's Construction General Permit,"January 5, 2012
- ACC-SFBA & Sheppard Mullin Real Estate SeriesJune 26, 2013