Adam Shipley is a partner in the firm's Corporate Practice Group.
Areas of Practice
Adam advises buyers and sellers in acquisition of company transactions, growth capital transactions and cross border transactions. Adam is a practical minded lawyer, who focuses in every matter on solving problems and getting deals done efficiently and in a manner that best promotes his client’s commercial objectives. Adam has deep experience in the industrial, manufacturing, healthcare, life sciences and energy sectors, though he has advised on matters in many other industry sectors as well. Adam also has extensive experience in transactions involving cross border matters.
- A Fortune 500 company in the acquisition of a venture backed company (party names and deal terms not publicly disclosed) (2019);
- A private equity sponsor in its acquisition of a manufacturing company (party names and deal terms not publicly disclosed) (2019);
- Jinxin Fertility Group in its $390 million global offering and IPO on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (2019);
- Fluent, Inc. (Nasdaq:FLNT) in its acquisition of AdParlor (2019);
- Aretex Capital Partners in its acquisition of Alerian (2018);
- Ardian North America Direct Buyouts in its acquisition of Revere Plastics Systems (2018);
- Corporate members of Fidelis Care in the $3.75 billion sale of Fidelis Care to Centene Corporation (2018);
- Montefiore Medical Center in its joint venture with Crystal Run Healthcare (2018);
- CA, Inc. (Nasdaq: CA) in its acquisition of Runscope Inc. (2017); and
- Ardian North America Direct Buyouts in its acquisition of Dynamic Technologies S.p.A. (2017).
Pro Bono Matters
Adam believes in providing pro bono legal services for worthy causes. Adam is outside corporate legal counsel to Circulate San Diego, which is a grassroots organization promoting walkable, bikeable and sustainable development in the San Diego region. Adam periodically provides transactional advice to GLAAD. Adam also recently won a pro bono asylum case.
San Diego Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2016-2019
Federal Court Clerkship
Adam clerked for the Honorable Federico A. Moreno in Miami, Florida. Clerking for Judge Moreno, the (then) chief United States District Judge of the Southern District of Florida, provided Adam an understanding of how litigation works—and an excellent perspective for strategizing how to mitigate litigation risks in transactional and corporate governance matters.
Pharmaceutical, Medical Device and Medical Technology
- Represented Multi Modal Imaging Corporation, an intellectual property licensing concern with intellectual property related to advanced MRI technology used in executive health/human longevity services, in its venture financing by and joint venture with an affiliate of Genting Berhad.
- Represented Nipro Corporation, a medical device manufacturer and distributor based in Japan, in connection with its acquisition of Infraredx, Inc., a manufacturer of medical imaging systems.
- Represented DR Systems, Inc., a manufacturer of medical imaging information systems, in connection with its sale to Merge Healthcare.
- Represented Fosun Group, an investment conglomerate headquartered in Shanghai, China, in connection with its investment in Saladax Biomedical, Inc., a development stage pharmaceutical company.
- Represented venture capital group Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers in connection with the spin-off and Series A Preferred Stock financing of True North Therapeutics, Inc., a development stage pharmaceutical company.
- Represented venture capital group Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers in connection with its financing of iPierian, Inc., a development stage pharmaceutical company.
- Represented Elcelyx, Inc., a development stage pharmaceutical company, in its spin-off of certain assets.
- Represented Atara Biotherapeutics, Inc. and its sister companies (Nina Biotherapeutics, Inc., Pinta Biotherapeutics, Inc., and Santa Maria Biotherapeutics) in connection with a Series A Preferred Stock financing.
Healthcare Providers, Health Insurance and Hospitals
- Represented the corporate members of Fidelis Care, New York’s largest Medicaid manage care plan, in the $3.75 billion sale of Fidelis Care to Centene Corporation, the nation’s largest Medicaid managed care plan provider.
- Represented Montefiore Medical Center in connection with a joint venture with Crystal Run Healthcare.
- Represented March Vision Care, a vision care benefits administrator, in connection with its sale to UnitedHealth Group.
- Represented Visalia Medical Clinic, a multi-specialty medical group practice, in its affiliation with the Kaweah Delta Health Care District through the creation of the Kaweah Delta Medical Foundation.
- Represented two large medical groups in Orange County, California in their consolidation into one medical group consisting of approximately 250 physicians.
- Represented Heritage Development Organization (an affiliate of Heritage Provider Network) in connection with its negotiation of the Physician Network Development and Care Coordination Collaboration Agreement with Fresenius Medical Care.
- Represented Sansum Clinic in connection with its acquisition of Sansum Clinic Pharmacy.
- Represented two surgery centers in Southern California in connection with the sale of a controlling interest in the surgery centers to a private equity group.
- Represented buyer in connection with its acquisition of a dialysis center in Houston, Texas.
Information Technology, Software and Online
- Represented CA, Inc. (Nasdaq: CA), a software company, in connection with its acquisition of Runscope Inc., a developer and provider of API applications.
- Represented I Drive Safely, LLC, a provider of online driver safety schools in more than 40 states, in connection with its sale to Compass Capital Partners, L.P.
- Represented TargetSolutions, Inc., a provider of online management solutions for public agencies, in connection with its sale to RedVector.com, LLC.
- Represented SiliconSystems, Inc., a manufacturer of solid state memory devices, in connection with its sale to Western Digital Corporation.
- Represented Pomeroy IT Solutions, Inc., a provider of information technology products and services, in connection with its sale to Platinum Equity, LLC.
- Represented Z57, Inc., a leading provider of web sites, lead management and lead generation solutions for real estate agents, in connection with its sale to Constellation Software, Inc.
- Represented Scorestream, Inc., a mobile app for high school and local sports scores and updates, in connection with its Series Seed Preferred Stock financing.
- Represented Samba Holdings, Inc., a provider of driver safety data to employers and school districts, in connection with its sale to Cerca Group, LLC.
- Represented Lenco Mobile Inc., a provider of internet and mobile phone advertising solutions, in its acquisition of assets from Superfly Advertising, Inc.
- Represented Lenco Mobile Inc., a provider of internet and mobile phone advertising solutions, in its acquisition of iLoop Mobile, Inc.
- Represented Trooval.com, Inc. in connection with its sale of Series A-1 Preferred Stock to venture capital group North Bridge Venture Partners.
Manufacturing, Construction and Industrial
- Represented Ardian North America Direct Buyouts in its acquisition of Revere Plastics Systems, a manufacturer of plastic injection molded products.
- Represented Ardian North America Direct Buyouts in its acquisition of Dynamic Technologies S.p.A., a manufacturer of automobile engine components.
- Represented Trench Plate Rental Co., a provider of trench protection equipment service and solutions to the construction industry, in connection with its sale to Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.
- Represented Electro Rent Corporation, a lessor and reseller of electrical test equipment with operations in the United States, China and Europe, in connection with its sale to Platinum Equity in a $382 million going private transaction.
- Represented National Technical Systems, Inc., a provider of testing, inspection and certification solutions, in connection with its sale to Aurora Capital Group.
- Represented Hunter Industries Incorporated, a manufacturer of irrigation equipment, in its acquisition of FX Luminaire, Inc., a manufacturer of landscape lighting fixtures.
- Represented Aretex Capital Partners in its secondary acquisition from ZZ Capital of its stake in Building Energy 1 Holdings plc, a global independent power producer of renewable energy.
- Represented Aretex Capital Partners in its acquisition of Alerian, the developer of the energy benchmark Alerian MLP Index.
- Represented Guzman Energy Group, LLC, a full-service energy company that provides wholesale power, energy trading services and energy holding services in its $130 Million equity and mezzanine financing facility investment by Vision Ridge Partners and ZOMA Capital.
- Represented Two Jinn, Inc., the owner of the 52 Aladdin Bail Bonds retail locations in the western United States, in connection with its sale of assets to Endeavour Capital Partners.
- Represented Rizvi Traverse Management, a private equity group, in a going private transaction of Playboy Enterprises, Inc.
- Represented Eplica, Inc., a temp worker agency, in its acquisition of assets from Contractor’s Employment Services, Inc., a competitor agency.
- Represented a private investor in connection with the acquisition of three franchised restaurants in San Diego County.
- Represented Frontera Investment, Inc., a chain of retail check cashing, payday loan, wire and pawn stores, in connection with its sale of Series A Preferred Stock to Metropolitan Retail Capital, LLC.
Public Company Representation
Representative client engagements include:
- LendingTree, Inc. (Nasdaq:TREE);
- National Technical Systems (Nasdaq:NTSC);
- Electro Rent Corporation (Nasdaq:ELRC);
- RadNet, Inc. (Nasdaq:RDNT);
- Fluent Inc. (Nasdaq:FLNT)
- Avery Dennison Corporation (NYSE: AVY); and
- Represented Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc. (Nasdaq:KTOS) in its tender offer for up to $175 million aggregate principal amount of its 7.000% Senior Secured Notes due 2019.
San Diego Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2020
- JOBS Act Eases IPOs, The Recorder, February 7, 2013
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Smaller Reporting Companies Given Additional Time to Comply with Auditor Attestation Report on Internal Control over Financial Reporting," October 5, 2009
- "SEC approves NYSE Rule change regarding Broker Non-Votes," July 15, 2009
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- Join Sheppard Mullin and The United States - Mexico Chamber of Commerce for the U.S. - Mexico Fashion Industry Commerce Conference, Sheppard Mullin New York, 02.27.2020
J.D., Notre Dame Law School, cum laude, 2006
B.A., Vanderbilt University, cum laude, with honors, 2003