Sheppard Mullin Named a “Best Law Firm for Women and Diversity” for Sixth Consecutive Year
For the sixth consecutive year, Seramount selected Sheppard Mullin as one of the 2023 “Best Law Firms for Women and Diversity” for its initiatives and best practices in recruiting, retaining, promoting and developing women lawyers and lawyers from underrepresented groups, including people of color. The firm is one of only 50 firms that earned a spot on this esteemed list.
“The firm is proud to be recognized as a Best Law firm for Women for the sixth year in a row,” said Luca Salvi, chair of Sheppard Mullin. “We will continue to remain dedicated to fostering an environment where all of our attorneys can succeed and advance their careers. We commend Seramount for its continued commitment to advancing gender equity and for expanding its program to include diversity and inclusion as additional pillars of progress.”
“We are deeply honored to be recognized for our efforts to promote equality and inclusiveness in our firm and the legal profession,” said MaryJeanette Dee, managing partner of Sheppard Mullin. “One of our key strategic priorities is to promote and support women and diverse attorneys and professional staff to be successful leaders within and beyond our firm.”
Highlights of the 2023 Best Law Firms for Women:
- The percentage of women promoted to equity partner increased to 39 percent, up from 37 percent in 2022.
- The percentages of women, people of color and women of color are increasing at law firms: 42 percent of lawyers are women (vs. 41 percent in 2022); 23 percent of lawyers are people of color (vs. 22 percent in 2022); 34 percent of lawyers hired are people of color (vs. 33 percent in 2022); and 41 percent of women lawyers hired are women of color (vs. 39 percent in 2022).
- More firms are offering backup childcare: 84 percent of firms offer backup childcare as a benefit (vs. 80 percent in 2022); 90 percent subsidize everyday childcare costs (vs. 88 percent in 2022).
Rena Andoh, chair of Sheppard Mullin’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee, added, “Diversity, equity and inclusion are key tenets of Sheppard Mullin’s culture, and we will continue to seek out opportunities and refine our practices to more effectively attract, retain and support diverse attorneys. We acknowledge that we have a responsibility to help advance gender equity and diversity in the legal field, and we are grateful for the opportunity to foster change.”
“I’m proud to expand our Best Law Firms for Women to include diversity, equity and inclusion efforts,” said Subha V. Barry, President of Seramount. “From increasing representation of historically excluded talent to expanding upon their family-friendly benefits, our Best Law Firms are putting in the work necessary to build firm cultures where employees can thrive.”
The 2023 Seramount Best Law Firms for Women application includes more than 300 questions about attorney demographics at different levels, flexibility, paid time off and parental leaves, and development and retention of women and people of color as well as those from other underrepresented groups. Questions about family-friendly benefits and mentoring and sponsorship participation are also included.
Sheppard Mullin maintains and cultivates a workplace in which diverse approaches are applauded. In addition to being recognized by Seramount, the firm, in 2022:
- Achieved Mansfield Rule Certification Plus after completing Diversity Lab’s 12-month Mansfield Rule 5.0 certification program;
- Earned a 100 percent on The Human Rights Campaign 2022 Corporate Equality Index for LGBTQ+ workplace equality for the twelfth consecutive year;
- Received a Top Performer designation from the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity for the sixth consecutive year;
- Was named an Inclusion Blueprint Champion by ChIPs and Diversity Lab for the third consecutive year;
- Received the 2022 Flex Impact Award from the Diversity and Flexibility Alliance;
- Ranked #11 as a best law firm for minority attorneys in Law360’s 2022 Diversity Snapshot;
- Ranked #45 in The American Lawyer’s 2022 Diversity Scorecard; and
- Recognized in Yale Law Women’s Top Firm Awards.