Sheppard Mullin Named As One of the “Best Law Firms for Women” For Fifth Consecutive Year
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP was named once again by Seramount, now part of EAB, as one of the 2022 “Best Law Firms for Women” for its initiatives and best practices in retaining, retaining, promoting and developing women lawyers. This is the firm’s fifth consecutive year on the list and among only 50 firms to earn a spot on this year’s list.
“To be named a Best Law Firm for Women for the fifth time is a great honor for Sheppard Mullin, and it shows our deep commitment to ensuring that women have the opportunity to flourish and pursue leadership roles here," said Sheppard Mullin chair Luca Salvi. “We thank Seramount for this recognition and for continuing to challenge all of us in the legal industry to empower and champion women attorneys and improve gender equality.”
Highlights of the 2022 Best Law Firms for Women:
- The percentage of women managing partners (or equivalent prominent leader and spokesperson for the firm, other than the chairperson or equivalent) increased to 43 percent, up from 34 percent in 2021.
- Critical assignments went to women, further leveling the playing field:38 percent of members of the firms’ management committees were women (vs. 35 percent in 2021); 38 percent of those deciding promotions to equity partner were women (vs. 34 percent in 2021); and 36 percent of those determining compensation were women (vs. 34 percent in 2021).
- There are more multicultural (MCW) women at every level: 29 percent of all women lawyers were MCW (vs. 27 percent in 2021); 36 percent of women associates were MCW (vs. 34 percent in 2021); 18 percent of women equity partners were MCW (vs. 16 percent in 2021); and 22 percent of women equity partners promoted were MCW (vs. 18 percent in 2021).
- The average law firm fully paid gender-neutral parental leave for associates increased to 16 weeks (vs. 13 weeks in 2021); 67 percent of firms now cover in-vitro fertilization (vs. 52 percent in 2021); and 80 percent of firms are now hybrid workplaces.
Rena Andoh, chair of Sheppard Mullin’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee, said, “We are dedicated to creating opportunities and providing resources so that women can thrive in the legal field. While we are proud of the work we’ve done and humbled by this recognition, we know there is more to do and we remain steadfast in our efforts to continue supporting our women attorneys and staff at all levels.”
“Our Best Law Firms for Women continue to improve in many critical areas,” said Subha V. Barry, president of Seramount. “Representation of women managing partners has increased significantly and we’ve seen progress for multicultural women lawyers at every level. Our firms recognize the importance of recruiting and retaining this important talent pool and have developed the family-friendly benefits to prove it. All of these combined are important steps toward parity.”
The 2022 Seramount Best Law Firms for Women application includes more than 300 questions about attorney demographics at different levels, flexibility, paid time-off and parental leaves and development and retention of women. Questions also include ability to work from home some of the time, family-friendly benefits and mentoring and sponsorship participation.
Sheppard Mullin cultivates and fosters a culture in which diverse approaches are applauded. In addition to being recognized by Seramount, the firm, in 2021:
- Achieved Mansfield Rule Certification Plus after completing Diversity Lab’s 12-month Mansfield Rule 4.0 certification program, which indicates that Sheppard Mullin affirmatively considered at least 30 percent women, lawyers of color, LGBTQ+ lawyers, and attorneys with disabilities for leadership and governance roles, equity partner promotions, formal client pitch opportunities and senior lateral positions;
- Earned a 100 percent on The Human Rights Campaign 2022 Corporate Equality Index for LGBTQ+ workplace equality for the twelfth consecutive year;
- Ranked seventh as a Best Law Firm for minority attorneys in Law360’s 2021 Diversity Snapshot; and
- Named an Inclusion Blueprint Champion by ChIPs and Diversity Lab for the second consecutive year.