Charles Barker is Of Counsel in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Charles has tried numerous state and federal cases involving claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, overtime compensation and other labor-related issues. He is experienced in representing employers in discrimination and wage and hour class actions and has successfully tried four such cases. He also represents employers before administrative agencies such as the National Labor Relations Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Department of Labor and the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
Charles counsels employers with regard to wage and hour laws and regulations, trade secrets, union matters and other state and federal laws regulating the employer. He has assisted companies resisting unionization and has experience in collective bargaining, arbitrations and strikes.
Charles has assisted and counseled clients in the following industries: insurance, aerospace, retail, finance, trucking, manufacturers, entertainment, lodging, temporary services and professional services firms.
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2013-2021
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2008-2011, 2013-2019
- Top Labor & Employment Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2009-2013
- "New California Employment Laws and Significant Employment Decisions in 2012," Business Law News, Issue 1, p. 36, 2013
- Law360, 10.15.2019
- Charles frequently presents discussions on employment issues to personnel directors and various employer groups
- Member, Executive Committee, Los Angeles County Bar Labor Law Section
- American Bar Association
J.D., UCLA School of Law, 1976, Order of the Coif
A.B., University of Southern California, 1973