Carmen Jule is special counsel in the Governmental Practice in the firm's New York office.
Areas of Practice:
Carmen’s practice includes routinely advising a broad range of healthcare providers in criminal, civil and regulatory government actions. She has represented clients in connection with licensure, professional conduct, governmental audit and administrative proceedings. She regularly counsels clients on applicable federal and state regulatory issues, including Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement rules and guidance, documentation practices, federal and state exclusion rules and surprise medical bill laws. Carmen also works with providers to design and implement tailored fraud and abuse compliance programs, conducts compliance training, and advises compliance officers as they conduct internal investigations and resolve compliance issues.
Previously, Carmen was a staff attorney in the New York City Human Resources Administration Child Support Litigation and Program Counseling Unit, and represented the Department of Social Services in child support and paternity proceedings.
New York Metro Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2022
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "CMS Issues a Final Rule Requiring Nursing Facilities and Other Providers and Suppliers to Disclose Additional Ownership Information," November 16, 2023
- "Sheppard Mullin Webinar – No Surprises Act: Litigation Update and Recent Guidance," September 6, 2023
- "Long Term Care Facilities Face Mandatory Minimum Staffing Requirements," September 6, 2023
- "Another No Surprises Act Update: Texas Court Vacates Rules and Guidance Related to the 'Qualified Payment Amount'," August 31, 2023
- "New York Medicaid Providers Now Have Two Pathways to Self-Disclose Overpayments to the Office of the Medicaid Inspector General," August 25, 2023
- "No Surprises Act Update: Federal IDR Temporarily Suspended After Court Vacates Increased Administrative Fees and Rule for Batching Claims," August 10, 2023
- "New NYC Local Law Promotes Health Care Price Transparency," July 10, 2023
- "NY Nursing Home Minimum Staffing Assessments Set to Begin," July 5, 2023
- "CMS Takes Steps to Lower SNF Medicare Payment Error Rates," May 22, 2023
- "No Surprises Act Update: Certified IDR Entities to Resume Payment Determinations for Services Furnished Before October 25, 2022," February 24, 2023
- "Another Win for Providers: Texas Federal District Court Again Vacates Independent Dispute Resolution Rule for the No Surprises Act," February 10, 2023
- "Attention New York Medicaid Providers: It’s Time to Upgrade Your Compliance Program," February 3, 2023
- "Long Term Care Update: As Winter Arrives, CMS Renews its Emphasis on COVID-19 Vaccinations, Bivalent Boosters and Timely Therapeutic Treatments," December 19, 2022
- "Final Rule Changes No Surprises Act Requirements," September 22, 2022
- Webinar, 12.07.2023
- Webinar, 10.19.2023
- New York State OMIG Publishes New Guidance on Health Care Compliance Programs, Self-Disclosures and Medicaid Managed Care Fraud, Waste & Abuse PreventionWebinar, 02.22.2023
- Representing the Physician 2023: The No Surprises Act: Trying to Make Sense of It All One Year Later02.03.2023