Chante Westmoreland is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Houston office.
Areas of Practice
Chante has significant trial experience for an associate so early in her career, focusing her practice on trademark, copyright, and trade secret litigation. She has represented both plaintiffs and defendants across a number of industries including luxury fashion brand owners, entertainment, retail, technology, food and beverage, medical devices, and oil and gas.
Prior to joining the firm, Chante clerked for the Honorable Andrew S. Hanen, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas and externed for the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas. Chante uses her clerkship and trial experiences to represent and counsel clients in intellectual property litigation.
Chante has a strong commitment to providing pro bono legal services, including experience assisting a tribe in cultural property management and protection, providing intellectual property counseling to local artists, and advising small businesses in brand enforcement matters. Before law school, Chante was a corps member with Teach For America.
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, Intellectual Property Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2022-2024
- "History of the Native American Law Section of the State Bar of Texas," 11 J. Tex. Sup. Ct. Hist. Soc’y 1, 76, 2021
- "States Can Pillage Photos Without Threat of Copyright Claims, SCOTUS Rules. What Will Congress Do?," Law.com, 2020
- "Holiday Hacks: Quick Tips on Protecting Your Brand from Counterfeiting During the Holiday Shopping Season," Lexology, 2020
- "An Analysis of the Lack of Protection for Intangible Tribal Cultural Property in the Digital Age," California Law Review, 2018
Blockchain and Cryptocurrency: Law of the Ledger
- "Takeaways from the Hermès Litigation over MetaBirkins NFTs," March 7, 2023
- Daily Journal, 10.18.2023
- State Bar of Texas Native American Law Section, 2019 Federal Case Update on Federal Indian Law, 2020
- PrivacyCon Poster Session, Mobile Device Search and seizure in the United States and South Korea, Federal Trade Commission, 2018
Native American Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Secretary
Asian American Bar Association of Houston, VP of Development
International Trademark Association, Member
Copyright Society, Member
Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member
Houston Bar Association, Member
J.D., University of California, Berkeley, 2018, Berkeley Law Dean's Fellow, Associate Editor of the California Law Review, Senior Online Content Editor of the Berkeley Technology Law Journal, and Co Editor-in-Chief of the Berkeley Journal of Entertainment and Sports Law
B.A., Colorado State University, 2012, magna cum laude, University Honors Scholar, Dean's List
- Law clerk to The Honorable Andrew S. Hanen, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas