Daniel Maroon is a member of the Real Estate, Energy, Land Use & Environmental Practice Group in the firm’s San Francisco office. His practice focuses on land use planning and entitlement procedures, compliance and litigation involving endangered species, wetlands, and water quality, and related issues arising under state and federal environmental laws.
Areas of Practice
Daniel assists developers and property owners in obtaining subdivision maps, density bonuses, development agreements, and other land use approvals. He also guides clients through the California Environmental Quality Act and National Environmental Policy Act compliance processes. Daniel has experience obtaining and implementing natural resource permits for large residential, commercial, and mixed-use projects and conducting environmental due diligence for renewable energy projects. He also advises clients on a range of state and federal regulatory matters, including endangered species, wetlands, water rights, and water quality.
Daniel also litigates complex real estate, land use, and environmental matters in state and federal courts. Daniel’s real estate litigation experience includes disputes arising out of leases, purchase and sale agreements, and development agreements. His land use litigation practice broadly encompasses disputes under CEQA and California’s Housing Accountability Act, Planning and Zoning Law, and eminent domain laws. His environmental litigation practice includes cost recovery actions, regulatory enforcement actions, and state and federal permit defense.
Daniel maintains an active pro bono practice and is a member of the California Lawyers Association’s standing Committee on Administration of Justice.
Ones to Watch — Real Estate Law, Best Lawyers, 2021-2024
Northern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2019-2021
- American Bar Association, 10.25.2019
Real Estate, Land Use & Environmental Law Blog Posts
- "Supreme Court Narrows Scope of Waters Protected by the Clean Water Act in Sackett v. EPA," May 31, 2023
- "Momentum for Streamlining and Subsidizing Office-to-Residential Conversion Projects Builds in Sacramento and San Francisco," March 10, 2023
- "As Deadline for Housing Element Certification Passes, “Builder’s Remedy” and AB 1398 Remedies Loom for Noncompliant Bay Area Cities and Counties," February 1, 2023
- "U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Proposes New Regulations Creating General Eagle “Take” Permits for Certain Wind Energy and Power Line Infrastructure Projects," October 26, 2022
- "U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Proposes Listing Tricolored Bat as Endangered Under Endangered Species Act," September 22, 2022
- "California Energy Commission Releases Milestone Offshore Wind Energy Report and Sets Maximum Feasible Capacity and Megawatt Planning Goals for 2030 and 2045," August 15, 2022
- "Association of Bay Area Governments Formally Denies Nearly All Regional Housing Needs Allocation Appeals," November 17, 2021
- "Army Corps of Engineers Proposes Revising Broad Range of Clean Water Act Nationwide Permits," September 15, 2020
- "New Bay Area COVID-19 Orders Ease Restrictions on Construction and Impose New Safety Protocols," May 5, 2020
- "Clean Water Act Permit Required for “Functional Equivalent” of Direct Discharge, Supreme Court Says," April 24, 2020
- "State-Level Rent Relief Due to COVID-19 Impacts: California Governor Newsom’s Executive Order Explained," April 8, 2020
- "New Shelter-in-Place Orders Dramatically Restrict Bay Area Construction, Including Residential Projects," April 2, 2020
- "San Francisco Temporarily Bans Evicting Residential and Commercial Tenants Impacted by COVID-19 Epidemic," April 2, 2020
- "On Repeat: Courts Again Uphold Low Carbon Fuel Standard Programs," January 28, 2019
- "Critical Habitat Must Be Habitat for Listed Species, Supreme Court Says," November 29, 2018
Energy Law Blog Posts
J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2013
B.A., University of California, Davis, 2010
- Extern for the Honorable Jaqueline Scott Corley, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California