Drew Svor is a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office and a member of the firm’s Telecom Team.
Areas of Practice
Drew’s practice is focused on technology, media and telecommunications, with an emphasis on satellite, wireless and new technologies.
Drew counsels companies on all aspects of communications law and regulations. He also represents companies in matters before the Federal Communications Commission, including rulemaking, licensing and enforcement matters. He counsels clients with respect to international telecommunications issues, including frequently representing companies before the “Team Telecom” Executive Branch agencies, as well as the Committee of Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
Drew frequently speaks and writes on telecommunications matters, including at events hosted by the Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA) and the ABA Space Symposium.
- OneWeb. Corporate and regulatory advice to OneWeb, the latest satellite venture from Greg Wyler (founder of O3b).
- KTSAT. Regulatory and litigation counsel to KTSAT of South Korea in connection with a dispute over rights to an orbital slot and satellite over Asia.
- SES Government Solutions. Served as corporate and government contracts counsel to SES GS in connection with a hosted payload agreement.
- Global Eagle Entertainment. Served as corporate counsel to Global Eagle in connection with its long-term agreement with SES to provide capacity on its Ku-band and HTS satellites for Global Eagle’s inflight-connectivity systems.
- AsiaSat. Served as corporate, finance and export control counsel to AsiaSat in connection with a hosted payload agreement with GeoMetWatch.
- Iridium. Served as corporate and government contracts counsel to Iridium in connection with a hosted payload agreement.
- Satmex. Served as corporate and regulatory counsel to Satmex in connection with a hosted payload agreement and related FCC market access application.
- Eutelsat America. Regulatory counsel to Eutelsat America Corp. with respect to the E172A satellite and related FCC licensing matters.
- Represented multiple private equity groups in connection with the acquisition of U.S. telecom operators before Team Telecom and CFIUS.
- CFIUS advice to global satellite operator in connection with foreign investment into U.S.-based subsidiary.
- CFIUS advice to Chinese conglomerate with respect to potential U.S. investments.
- CFIUS advice to Symantec in connection with the sale of the Veritas information management business to the Carlyle Group, an $8 billion transaction.
- Dryad. Corporate and regulatory counsel to Dryad Communications in connection with the sale of wireless licenses.
- Sempra Energy. Provided company FCC regulatory advice to Sempra Energy regarding the wireless licenses held by their subsidiaries Southern California Gas and San Diego Gas & Electric.
- Aspider. Represented Aspider, a Europe-based mobile virtual network enabler (MVNE), in connection with wireless roaming issues in the U.S.
- Sikorsky. Served as FCC regulatory counsel to Sikorsky on numerous FCC and spectrum related issues.
- Xsight Systems. Represented Xsight Systems Ltd. in obtaining an FCC equipment authorization for its FODetect airport runway detection system.
- textPlus. Provided corporate and regulatory advice for their "Over-the-Top" messaging service.
- Brandtone. Provided corporate and regulatory advice to Brandtone in connection with the launch of their mobile marketing service in the U.S.
Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs):
- Crouzet. Provided regulatory advice to Crouzet, a French manufacturer of automation control components, with regards to its wireless automation products.
- Observant. Provided regulatory advice to Observant, an Australian provider of remote management solutions, with regards to its wireless automation products.
- ZTE. Provided regulatory advice to ZTE, a China-based mobile handset manufacturer.
- Metaswitch. Provided regulatory advice to Metaswitch Networks, a UK-based company that designs and manufactures telecommunications hardware and software.
- Aastra USA. Provided regulatory advice to Aastra, a leading global enterprise communications provider.
- TCL Communications. Provided regulatory advice to the U.S. subsidiary of TCL Communications, a China-based mobile handset manufacturer.
- Western Digital. Provided regulatory advice to Western Digital regarding its home entertainment products.
Broadcast and Media:
- Will.I.Am. FCC regulatory counsel to Will.I.Am from the Black-Eyed Peas in connection with a new wearable device.
- TVB. Corporate advice to Hong Kong-based TVB regarding television distribution rights in the U.S.
- TV5. Provided corporate and regulatory advice regarding content television distribution rights for TV5, a Philippines-based TV program.
- Pappas. Provided regulatory advice to Comerica Bank in connection with the bankruptcy of Pappas Telecasting.
- MoonScoop. Provided regulatory advice on closed captioning to MoonScoop, a French animation and production company.
Cable and Broadband:
- Cox. Represented Cox Cable in connection with state and local licensing matters related to new broadband deployments.
- Served as corporate counsel to Art Enables, a D.C.-based nonprofit, on corporate governance and transactional matters.
Telecommunications Editorial Advisory Board, Law360, 2022-2023
- Ones to Watch — Corporate Law, Best Lawyers, 2021-2024
- Recommended Attorney - Telecoms and Broadcast: Regulatory, Legal 500, 2019-2022
- Recommended Attorney - Telecoms and Broadcast: Transactional, Legal 500, 2022-2023
- Law360, 09.27.2018
- Law360, 03.20.2018
FCC Law Blog Posts
- "FCC Launches Inquiry into the Risks of AI on Unwanted Robocalls and Texts," November 2, 2023
- "ALERT: The FCC Fines Companies $20 Million for Failing to Safeguard Customer Proprietary Network Information," August 31, 2023
- "Don’t Look Twice, It’s Alright — The FCC Pulls Back the Curtain on Section 214 Authorizations," April 28, 2023
- "FCC Takes the Lead on Satellite/Mobile Convergence in the Single Network Future Proceeding," March 21, 2023
- "ALERT: FCC Opens Rulemaking on Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems in Licensed Spectrum," January 4, 2023
- "ALERT: Space Innovation Comes to Part 25 as the FCC Proposes New Reforms for its Satellite and Earth Station Licensing Rules," December 8, 2022
- "ALERT: FCC Chairwoman Rosenworcel Announces Plans to Create a Space Bureau," November 3, 2022
- "The Many Layered Flavors of Broadband – The FCC’s Proposed Broadband “Nutrition Labels”," April 5, 2022
- "Too Much Time on Their Hands – New Executive Order Limits Time Period for Team Telecom Reviews," April 7, 2020
- "Commerce Prioritizes Earth Selfies as It Seeks to Improve Remote Sensing Licensing," July 17, 2018
- "FCC Sets Sights on China," May 7, 2018
- "Chips on Their Shoulders: CFIUS Intervenes in Broadcom’s Hostile Takeover Bid for Qualcomm," March 8, 2017
- "FCC Proposes Expedited Treatment For New Technologies," February 28, 2018
- "ExteNet v City of Houston: Who pays for access to Texas rights-of-way?," March 27, 2017
- "Patient Zero – Public Knowledge Seeks FCC Review of A New “Zero Rated” Service," March 14, 2016
- "Headin’ Down the Copperhead Road – the FCC Proposes New Rules for Legacy Infrastructure," January 5, 2015
- "If They Could Be All You Wanted: The FCC Gets Serious About Small Cells," October 28, 2014
- "The Eleventh Circuit Reaffirms FCC’s Authority To Coordinate National TCPA Policy And Ensure Uniformity Of Enforcement in Mais v. Gulf Coast Collection Bureau," October 16, 2014
- "Call Me Maybe?: The New TCPA Position Announced by The Federal Communications Commission in Nigro v. Mercantile Adjustment Bureau," July 7, 2014
- "Supreme Court Sides with Broadcasters in Aereo Decision," June 30, 2014
- "Once More Unto the Breach: the FCC Calls for Comments on Revamping Net Neutrality Regulations," May 16, 2014
- "Is Wheeler Gaga for Gigabit? The FCC Liberates 100 MHz of Spectrum for Unlicensed Wi-Fi," April 7, 2014
- "Sleeper “Small” Cells: The Battle Over The FCC’s Wireless Infrastructure Proceeding," February 27, 2014
- "Regulatory Reminder: Annual CVAA Compliance Certifications due April 1," February 25, 2014
- "Auction 96 - FCC Prepares for Upcoming H Block Spectrum Auction," August 28, 2013
- "FCC Considers Proposal To Lift 25% Cap On Indirect Foreign Investment In Broadcast Licensees," April 22, 2013
- "Regulatory Reminder: CVAA Compliance Certifications due April 1," March 26, 2013
- "FCC Reminds Advanced Communications Services Providers and Equipment Manufacturers of CVAA Recordkeeping Obligations and Compliance Certification," February 12, 2013
Global Trade Law Blog Posts
- Law360, 08.22.2023
- Law360, 04.29.2022
- Speaker, Federal Communications Bar Association CFIUS event, November 7, 2017
- Speaker, Space Law Symposium, ABA Forum on Air & Space Law, Washington, D.C., June 8, 2016
- SmallSat Symposium 2023 – Beyond Imagery: EO Sensors Enabling Radio Frequency Analysis, Methane Detection, Weather etc.02.09.2023
- Daroco, Paris, 09.11.2018
- Washington, D.C., 03.14.2018
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Young Lawyers Division, American Bar Association
- Member, Federal Communications Bar Association
J.D., Catholic University, Columbus School of Law, 2012, cum laude
B.A., University of Virginia, 2003
- District of Columbia