2019 Video Games and Digital Media Conference
Jim Gatto, Partner, Sheppard Mullin
8:00 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. Registration / Continental Breakfast
8:45 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Opening Remarks
9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Marketing, Promotions and NextGen Business Models: What to
Know and What to Expect, Including With Respect to Loot Boxes, Gambling and the Shift to Mobile.
As attorneys continue to work to keep up with the creative minds of leading marketers and efforts of developers to provide the latest and greatest product features, our panel will discuss relevant legal issues and outstanding questions related to loot boxes, contests / sweepstakes, daily fantasy sports, data privacy and protection, and the continued growth of the mobile space.
- Moderator, Ben Golant, Chief Counsel, IP Policy, The Entertainment Software Association
- Jim Gatto, Partner, Sheppard Mullins
- Melissa Rihali, Strategic Business Advisor, iGaming, Sports Betting & Lottery
- Patrick O’Brien, N3twork
- Douglas Reilly, Vice President, Lucasfilm Games
10:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. Gender Bias and Related Issues.
With Gamergate proving to be a precursor to the #metoo movement and the events of the past 18 months or so, our panel revisits issues first raised in 2015 with respect to gender bias in the digital media and video game spaces, and will provide insights into the current climate impacting companies and their employees.
- Kelly Conway, General Counsel, Linden Labs
- Ada Duan, GM, Business Development, Microsoft Global Gaming Partnerships & Development
- Judith Keyes, Partner, Davis, Wright & Tremaine LLP
- Professor Joan Williams, University of California Hastings College of the Law
11:15a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Break
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Doing Business in China Does China remain a viable market for digital media and game distribution and outsourced digital media development? What do practitioner’s need to know for purposes of a China focused practice?
- Chia-Chi Li, Director of Technology Transactions, Tencent Holdings
- Nicole Simonian, Partner, Bryan, Cave, Leighton & Paisner
- Steve Yu, Partner, Osborne Clarke
12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Lunch -- Hosted By Kelley Drye
Keynote Discussion – Amateur Athletics in the age of Video Games and Digital Media. Special discussion as to how local organizing committees and national governing bodies are utilizing Video Games and Digital Media to expand their respective reach and promote their brand. Will also include some of the behind the scenes events leading up to Los Angeles securing the 2028 summer games.
- Brian Nelson, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Los Angeles Olympic Organizing Committee (invited)
1:30pm – 2:45pm IP Litigation Who’s Who
Our panel of leading intellectual property litigators will provide an update as to the cases decided over the past 12 to 18 months most relevant to the Video Game and Digital Media Spaces, including what you should know as it relates to copyright, trademarks, rights of publicity, music and patent litigation.
- Moderator, Bill Coats, Sole Practitioner
- Kelli Sager, Partner, Davis, Wright & Tremaine
- Jennifer Kelly, Partner, Fenwick & West
- Rollin Ransom, Partner, Sidley & Austin
- Neel Chatterjee, Partner, Goodwin Procter, LLP
2:45 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. VR, AR, and ???: Oh My! – Another look at this quickly evolving space. What is new and where does VR and AR have potential in the media, entertainment and sports worlds? Current business and legal concerns, including the growth of location-based entertainment venues.
- Moderator, David Fink, Partner, Kelley Drye
- Eric Baum, Senior Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs, Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Marine Gallois, Director, Product Counsel, Niantic
- Dave Murphy, Senior Counsel, Sony Interactive Entertainment
4:00 p.m. – 4:15 p.m. Break
4:15 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. Professional & Amateur Sports, eSports and Video Games.
Panel discussion presented by the ABA’s Forum on Sports and Entertainment Industries that will examine the current relationship and future involvement of professional and amateur sports leagues and participants with digital media and interactive, including eSports. This will include discussion as to how professional sports teams and leagues, colleges and national amateur sports organizing committees (and their major sponsors and broadcast partners) view digital media, eSports and the interactive space, including the current and future relationships with game publishers, eSports tournament organization, and the market for sports simulated games such as Madden, NBA 2K, MLB: The Show, NHL and FIFA.
- Moderator, Seth Steinberg, Principal, Digital Arts Law
- Lee Rawles, Vice President, Business Affairs, Electronic Arts Inc.
- Dan Emerson, General Counsel, Take-Two Interactive Software
- Matt McCloskey, VP. Commerce, Twitch Interactive, Inc.
- Russell Weiss, Partner, Sidley & Austin, LLP
5:45 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Closing Remarks
6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Cocktail Reception, Hosted by Goodwin Procter