Labor Law Update
January 11, 2011
8:00 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.
31 West Carrillo
Santa Barbara, CA
Walk-In SBHRA Members $60
Walk-In Visitors $70
As 2010 progresses toward year-end, the courts and legislature have further defined an employer's obligations and, to a lesser extent, rights in dealing with their employees. 2010 has also shown us areas where plaintiff attorneys are focusing their attention.
Jeff Dinkin and Aaron Heisler, employment specialists with the law firm of Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton, will lead a lively discussion about recent developments in labor and employment law, and how these developments affect the handling of issues confronted by HR professionals. They will also discuss the trends in the subject matter of lawsuits being filed against employers - to be forewarned is to be forearmed.
Please join us for an informative and lively presentation in the following areas:
- The new definition of “employer” under California law and what that means for your company
- Controlling FMLA/CFRA issues while minimizing risks
- California's newest, legally-required paid leaves of absence
- Methods for tracking leaves of absence and providing required notifications
- Do I need to pay my employees for donning and doffing?
- Addressing social networking from an HR perspective
- May employers monitor employees’ email traffic from company computers and cell phones after the Supreme Court’s recent decision?
- Drafting medical questionnaires that comply with the ADA
- Employee or Intern? – New state and federal guidance regarding internship classifications
- Protecting wage/hour audits under the attorney client privilege doctrine
- Updated child labor regulations from the DOL
- The latest on Brinker, other wage and hour developments, and class action certification trends
- And much more...
This activity complies with standards for Minimum Continuing Legal Education prescribed by the California State Bar and is approved for 4.0 hours of MCLE credit. Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider.