Labor and Employment Law: Mid-Year Update 2008 - Silicon Valley
Breakfast With Your Labor Lawyer – Silicon Valley
Labor & Employment Law: Mid-Year Update 2008
October 8, 2008
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP
990 Marsh Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Speakers: Jennifer G. Redmond and Adam Tullman
Registration & Breakfast 7:30 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
Program 8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Registration & Materials Fee $50
This seminar will provide an important update on many new issues in the area of labor and employment law. We will discuss recent developments that apply to all employers and provide practical strategies that companies can use to reduce the risk of litigation. The topics include:
- Updates regarding meal and rest period class actions and new "best practice" compliance steps
- Policy changes required by the California Supreme Court's decision permitting same-sex marriages
- Strategies for navigating difficult wage and hour issues such as regular rate calculations, tip pooling, the administrative exemption, wage statements, and timekeeping policies
- Medical leave rules
- Guidance for avoiding disparate impact discrimination claims
- Developments regarding retaliation claims
- Recommendations for computer and email policies
- New guidelines for employee arbitration agreements
- Immigration enforcement and the "no-match letter safe harbor" program
- Layoffs and reductions in force
- And much more
This will be a lively and entertaining seminar that should not be missed.
This program has been approved for 2.5 (Specified - California) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at http://www.hrci.org/.
This activity complies with standards for Minimum Continuing Legal Education prescribed by the California State Bar and is approved for 2.5 hours of MCLE credit. Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider.