Hayley Grunvald is special counsel in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) office.
Areas of Practice
Hayley handles ADA access cases under both federal and California state accessibility standards. Her industry ADA access experience includes the following types of facilities: grocery stores, retailers, restaurants, amusement parks, convenience stores, apartment complexes and shopping malls. Her practice focuses not only on all aspects of litigation but also includes accessibility consulting, advising on landlord/tenant disputes regarding responsibility for common area accessibility issues, implementing policies and procedures to educate and train employees about accessibility laws, handling communication with state agencies to facilitate obtaining permits and hardship waivers for accessibility remediations and responding to Department of Justice and State Attorney General investigations.
Hayley's practice also encompasses employment litigation, wage and hour class action lawsuits, discrimination, wrongful termination and retaliation. She counsels clients on employment matters such drafting employment agreements, wage and hour compliance, immigration compliance, training and I-9 issues.
Received a scholarship for academic merit both at California Western School of Law and as an undergraduate at the University of Minnesota
Received All Big Ten Academic honors and received the "Top Five" award for possessing the highest GPA among women's Division I athletes at the University of Minnesota
Labor & Employment Law Blog Articles
- "No Brinker Decision Yet But Another Favorable Meal And Rest Break Decision For Employers," May 12, 2011
- "Employees' Expectations of Privacy Limited When Using Company-Issued Electronic Devices," June 23, 2010
- "National Labor Relations Board Cannot Make Decisions With Only Two Board Members," June 23, 2010
- "Employers Should Be Careful In Defining Holiday Premium Pay", June 12, 2008
- "Employers Beware - Violence at Work is Everyone's Problem", May 30, 2007
- "Caution: Take a Second look at Your Independent Contractors", May 22, 2007
- Breakfast With Your Labor Lawyer, San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, 09.23.2008
J.D., California Western School of Law, 2003, cum laude, Editor in Chief and member from 2000 to 2003 of the California Western Law Review
B.A., University of Minnesota, 2000, Phi Beta Kappa, member of the Women's Cross Country and Track and Field teams from 1996 to 2000, captain of the Cross Country team in the 1999-2000 season
- Judicial law clerk to the Honorable Barbara L. Major of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, January 2004 to August 2005
- Judicial extern to the Honorable James F. Stiven of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California