- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1989
- B.A., Yonsei University, 1984
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Hwan Kim is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group and the International Investment Arbitration Team in the firm's Washington, D.C. office and Seoul office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Kim counsels public and private companies, their shareholders and boards of directors, on general corporate matters and international disputes. In particular, he counsels construction, heavy industry, power generation, and petrochemical companies throughout the world.
As a member of the firm’s Korea practice, Hwan counsels Korean multinational companies conducting business in the United States and the Middle East.
Leveraging his educational background in both law and economics, he has advised clients through a broad array of sensitive disputes involving governments or state owned enterprises. He has successfully settled many difficult high profile international disputes as well as representing companies in investor-state disputes (ICSID arbitration).
A native of Korea, Hwan has previously served as the Assistant General Counsel for Samsung Group in charge of international legal affairs, General Counsel for Samsung Chemical Group, and the Chief Legal Counsel for Samsung’s Olympic Task Force Team.
- Real Estate and Construction, Legal 500, 2016-2017
- Mergers and Acquisitions, Legal 500, 2016
- Represented European Union in connection with a sovereign immunity lawsuit.
- Represented Samsung Engineering Co., Ltd. in an ICSID arbitration against the Sultanate of Oman in connection with a $2 billion petrochemical plant expansion project.
- Represented Samsung Engineering Co., Ltd. in an $200 million lawsuit against Alcoa, Inc. arising from a $1 billion construction project in Saudi Arabia (successfully settled).
- Represented the Export-Import Bank of Korea in connection with a sovereign immunity defense over $2.6 billion judgment enforcement proceeding in Washington, D.C. (Peterson, et al v. Islamic Republic, et al).
- Represented Korea International Trade Association in connection with the ratification of the Korea-US Free Trade Agreement.
Korea Related Experience
- Represented Samsung Engineering Co., Ltd. in connection with construction disputes with Saudi Aramco.
- Represented Samsung SRA Asset Management Co., Ltd. in connection with acquisition of real estate interests, both equity and debt.
- Represented Asiana Airlines before the U.S. Department of Transportation in connection with the crash of Flight 214 to San Francisco International Airport.
- Represented Chosun Ilbo in connection with its joint venture for broadcasting business.
- Represented Sea Launch Company LLC, a Boeing company, in relation to satellite launch services agreements with KT and the Republic of Korea Ministry of Defense.
- Represented Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. in connection with its Olympic sponsorship and matters relating to the International Olympic Committee.
- Represented Samsung Heavy Industries Co., Ltd. in connection with its construction disputes with Nippon Steel and Bechtel.
- Advised POSCO in connection with its general corporate matters and its investment in the United States, as well as antitrust reviews in connection with its U.S. investments.
- Advised POSCO in connection with its negotiations of supply agreement with GM and Chrysler.
- Represented KT America, Inc. before the Federal Communications Commission on general corporate matters.
- Represented Samsung Group in connection with a certain U.S. Department of Justice investigation.
- Represented several multinational corporations in cross-border mergers and acquisitions and cross-border investments.
- Represented Rexahn Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in connection with its several public offerings.
- Successfully represented publicly traded companies in connection with a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) investigation.
- Represented an oil shale developer in connection with the formation, construction and financing of a petrochemical refinery.
- Advised the Korean National Pension Service in connection with establishment of its U.S. operations in New York.
- Represented MPMan.com, the first MP3 player manufacturer in the world on its corporate matters.
- Represented Walter Anderson, accused by the U.S. Government to be the largest tax evader in American history, on corporate matters related to his indictment.
- Represented several of the largest multinational utility companies in its global procurement of renewable energy equipment and systems.
- Represented several multinational corporations in connection with procurement of wind equipment from overseas, including turbines, towers, and power generation related equipment.
- Represented developers in connection with financing wind projects.
- Advised wind farm developers in connection with negotiations of EPC agreements.
- Samsung, Alcoa Settle $200M Saudi Metal Plant DisputeLaw360, August 29, 2016
- Samsung Slams Alcoa's Bid To Pause Discovery In $200M RowLaw360, August 15, 2016
- Mainichi, July 22, 2016
- JoongAng Ilbo (Joins), April 17, 2016
- ChosunBiz, April 17, 2016
- Samsung Unit Claims Alcoa Interference Stymied Saudi ProjectLaw360, March 30, 2016
- The Korea Times, July 23, 2015
- Law360, June 9, 2015
- The Korea Economic Daily, March 8, 2005