- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, 2002, Chair of the Moot Court Board, 2001-2002, Associate Articles Editor, Berkeley Technology Law Journal, 2000-2001
- B.A., Georgetown University, 1997, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Judicial law clerk to the Honorable William Q. Hayes, United States District Judge for the Southern District of California from November, 2003 to September, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
John Dineen is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's San Diego office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Dineen practices general business and commercial litigation. He has a wide array of experience in complex civil litigation. He has successfully represented clients in claims involving breach of contract, unfair business practices, fraud, negligence, Truth-In-Lending and Real Estate Settlement Procedures Acts and other causes of action. Mr. Dineen has successfully represented clients in numerous real property disputes, including quiet title actions, easement disputes, and lease and ownership disputes. Mr. Dineen is a Co-Team Leader of the Firm’s Mortgage Industry Team.
Mr. Dineen also has significant experience in defending consumer class action claims, including claims brought under the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Consumer Legal Remedies Act, California's Rosenthal Act and other statutory claims. He has extensive experience in all aspects of class action litigation, including coordination proceedings in California courts.
- Jurisprudence Award in Corporations
- Moot Court Award for Best Written Argument
Represented several national retailers and restaurants (in separate cases) against class action complaints challenging clients’ respective credit card policies under the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act and California’s unfair competition law.
Represented a national bank with respect to a dispute between several parties involving a sublease of Native American land located in Palm Springs, CA.
Represented a national bank in defense of claims including trespass, malicious prosecution and invasion of privacy relating to a loan secured by a large ranch in Santa Barbara County.
Represented a national bank in defense of a class action complaint filed by a group of property owners in a development in La Jolla, CA related to the construction of the project and certain individual loans secured by individual units in the development.
Represented a San Diego based developer with respect to endangered species act claims that threatened to prevent use of the developer’s land.
Represented a subsidiary of a national bank in defense of a class action complaint brought by lessees challenging the insurance provision contained in client’s leases for certain commercial/business equipment.
Represented a home owner in a quiet title action involving the use, maintenance and access to a private road in Point Loma section of San Diego.
Represented national storage company in defense of a class action challenging client’s practices with respect to noticing rent increases pursuant to its consumer rental contracts.
Represented several national banks with respect to the defense of multiple (separate) lawsuits brought by residential borrower’s seeking to modify the terms of their loans and/or to prevent foreclosure following the borrower’s default under the terms of the respective loans.
Represented several clients in defense of (separate) complaints asserting alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act based on calls made by autodialers and allegedly unsolicited text messages.
Represented national loan broker in defense of claims brought by a customer asserting negligence, breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing, fraud and other statutory claims stemming from the plaintiff’s attempts to refinance a property located in San Diego, CA.
Represented national bank in defense of claims brought by property owner related to construction loan in San Diego, CA.
- Law360, June 23, 2011
Financial Institutions Law Blog Posts
- "CFPB Prevails On Summary Judgment Against CashCall, Inc.," September 2, 2016
Class Action Defense Strategy Law Blog Posts
- "In Pineda's Wake," May 24, 2011
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers San Diego
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, Welsh Inn of Court, 2007-2009
- Member, Ecology Law Quarterly, 1999-2000