- J.D., University of California, Berkeley - Boalt Hall, 1996
- M.A., Harvard University, 1995
- B.A., University of California, San Diego, 1992
- Externed for the former California State Supreme Court Justice Edward Panelli and Federal District Judge William Orrick Jr.
John Edson is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's San Diego office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Edson focuses his practice on insurance and business litigation. Mr. Edson represents insurance companies that are sued for bad faith, fraud and unfair competition. He also provides coverage opinions, conducts examinations under oath, and helps with the drafting of insurance policies and applications. His clients include Allstate, Infinity, Travelers, Wawanesa, and OneBeacon. He represents insurance clients throughout California. John also has experience in employment and bankruptcy litigation.
- Pro Bono Publico Award, San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program, 2016
Ryan Gilbert v. Infinity Insurance Company - Obtained summary judgement for defense verdict due to insured's refusal to produce unredacted phone records.
- "What to Do When Everything in a Water Loss Goes Wrong," Southern California Fraud Investigators Association Conference, Palm Springs, CA, November 18, 2014
- "Tips for Effective Recorded Statements and EUOs," Presented to Travelers, Sacramento, CA, October 15, 2014
- "When there is a cause of action for 'bad faith' based upon an alleged failure to adequately investigate a water loss?" Combined Claims Conference, Garden Grove, CA, March 5, 2014
- "Investigating and Preventing Fraud in the Application For Insurance," I.A.S.I.U., San Diego, CA, February 5, 2014
- "Aqua Arson - Detecting Potentially Fraudulent Water Losses," Presentation to Southern California Fraud Investigators Association Annual Conference, October 30, 2013
- "'Insurance' for Insurance Companies: Investigating Suspicious Auto Claims," Presentation to Wawanesa, August 13, 2013
- "Effective Strategies for Terminating and Avoiding Undesired Insurance Risks," Presentation to Wawanesa, August 8, 2013
- "Underwriting Fraud: Practical Guidance to Prevent and Mitigate Risk (Webcast)," The Knowledge Congress Webcast Series, July 16, 2013
- "Investigating Suspicious Auto Claims," Presentation to Travelers Insurance, Sacramento, CA, May 16-17, 2013 and Diamond Bar, CA, May 1, 2013
- "Anatomy of an Arson Case," Southern California Fraud Investigators' Association Training Conference, Palm Springs, CA, November 8, 2012
- "Defending against Allegations of Bad Faith in False or Suspicious Homeowner and Auto Claims," Southern California Chapter I.A.S.I.U. 1-Day Fraud Seminar, Ontario, October 17, 2012
- "Insurance" for Insurance Companies. SIU Investigations: Legal Tips From the Trenches, San Diego Chapter of S.I.U. Investigators, April 4, 2012
- "Fraud: Is It Increasing? What Can the Industry Do to Combat It?" Luce Forward Insurance Litigation Seminar, Los Angeles, October 14, 2010
- "Commercial Insurance - Moving the Goal Posts: The Duty to Defend - When Does It Begin and When Does It End?" Luce Forward Insurance Litigation Seminar, Los Angeles, September 11, 2008
- American Bar Association
- Board of the Directors, UC San Diego Alumni Association
- Board of the Directors, OTFS Research & Education Foundation
- Member, San Diego Chamber of Commerce - Legislative Analysis Committee
- Former President of the Associated Students, University of California, San Diego