- J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 1998
- B.S., Pepperdine University, 1995, cum laude
Joseph Foss is a special counsel in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's San Diego office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Foss has extensive experience in all aspects of insurance-related litigation including insurance bad faith, coverage disputes, consumer class actions, and unfair business practices. Mr. Foss has represented insurance company clients at trial, arbitration, and mediation. In addition to California law, Mr. Foss' insurance litigation experience includes federal admiralty law. His practice has also focused on difficult questions regarding an insurer's duty to defend, with positive results for his clients. He has successfully argued on behalf of his clients before state and federal trial courts throughout California. Before joining the firm, he represented numerous healthcare providers at trial, arbitration and mediation in cases involving allegations of medical malpractice and other torts.
- Kalan, et al. v. State Farm - jury defense verdict in insurance bad faith case arising from agent's alleged failure to procure requested coverage.
- Cook v. Allstate Ins. Co., 337 F. Supp. 2d 1206 (C.D. Cal. 2004).
- Farmer v. Allstate Ins. Co., 311 F. Supp. 2d 884 (C.D. Cal. 2004).
- GPM Mutual
- Horace Mann Insurance Companies
- Infinity Insurance Company
- John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company
- State Farm Insurance Company
- What You Need to Know About Lawsuits Involving Underwriting FraudDaily Journal, October 19, 2011
- What You Need to Know About First-Party Insurance Bad Faith LawsuitsDaily Journal, June 14, 2011
- July 31, 2008
- Battle Lines Drawn in Fight to Depublish Court of Appeal’s Decision in Recent California Wildfire CasesJuly 28, 2008
- Santa Clara County Local Transp. Auth v. Guardino, 24 Pepp. L. Rev. 1096 (1997)
- People v. Fields, 24 Pepp. L. Rev. 1409 (1997)
- Lezine v. Security Pac. Fin. Servs., Inc., Pepp. L. Rev. 282 (1998)
- Sea-Land Serv., Inc. v. WCAB, 25 Pepp. L. Rev. 385 (1998)
Insurance Law Blog Posts
- "Personal Insurance - The Playbook for Preventing and Defending Bad Faith Lawsuits in Personal Lines Insurance: Are Your Claims Handling Practices Keeping Pace with Recent Developments in the Law?" Luce Forward Insurance Litigation Seminar, September 11, 2008
- American Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- J.Reuben Clark Law Society
- American Inns of Court - Louis M. Welsh Chapter
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- LEAD San Diego Alumni