Justin Mahramas is an associate in the Real Estate, Energy, Land Use & Environmental Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Justin’s practice focuses on land use and real estate matters, specifically obtaining project approvals for private developers and property owners in California. He advises clients at all stages of the entitlement process, from performing initial due diligence, to ensuring compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), through receiving project approvals. Justin has worked on a variety of projects, including mixed-use, commercial, multi-family residential and institutional.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Justin worked with a land use group in Los Angeles, primarily focusing on institutional and mixed-use developments. There, he received extensive experience working on planning and land use matters, including advising clients on CEQA, the California Coastal Act, the Subdivision Map Act and other local development regulations.
- Overseeing entitlements for an approximately 250,000-square-foot mixed-use residential and hotel tower, including approximately 190 guestrooms and 31 condominium units. Work includes processing entitlements, including a substantial transfer of development rights, environmental review and public/political outreach.
- Overseeing entitlements for an approximately 415,000-square-foot mixed-use residential and hotel project in Chinatown. Role includes advising on local land use permitting issues, revising entitlements and supervising preparation of the Project EIR.
- Representing a developer in connection with development of a new museum in Mid-City Los Angeles. Work includes performing land use due diligence, preparing entitlements and supervising the environmental review process.
- Representing a private, specialty medical hospital developer in the construction of a 48,141-square-foot SF medical hospital to include a pharmacy, dining hall, administrative services, four operating rooms, patient rooms and other support services rooms.
- Advising client on existing entitlements and processing approvals for the construction of a four-story, 1,840-space parking structure to support future operations.
- Processing a General Plan Amendment and Zone Change in the City of Los Angeles to develop a four-and-a-half-story, approximately 200,000-square-foot parking structure with up to 750 parking spaces to accommodate employment growth at the existing campus.
- Representing a public entity in negotiations with a developer for the purchase of property to construct an approximately 300,000-square-foot commercial development, and an approximately 1,049-space parking garage. Work also includes review of entitlements for entire Gateway Development, totaling approximately 55 acres.
- Representing a local developer for entitlements and environmental review for the adaptive reuse and operation of a three-story 126,740-square-foot commercial office building, 56,270-square-foot mixed-use building with 54,870 square feet of office space and a three-story parking structure.
- Advising local developer on entitlement and environmental review for a 32-acre hillside development, including a 59-guestroom hotel, eight single-family homes, associated parking and infrastructure and extensive landscaped and open space areas. Work includes leading the processing of entitlements in the City of Los Angeles and environmental review of the project.
- Representing a developer in the renewal of alcohol licensing and off-site parking entitlement for an existing 4,220-square-foot restaurant in the heart of Hollywood.
- Advising a public entity client regarding land use strategy and development options for the Alameda Street Campus and providing a framework for management of the client’s surplus properties. Work includes drafting and presenting a Strategic Plan to the Board, engaging key stakeholders in the development process and outlining an implementation plan for future developments.
Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Law Blog Posts
- "Housing Legislation Update 2023," January 31, 2023
- "Significant Changes to State CEQA Filing and Noticing Requirements and Procedures," November 12, 2020
- "Following Suit – City of Los Angeles Updates CEQA Guide to Include VMT Methodology Ahead of State-Imposed Deadline," August 7, 2019
- "Sustainable Communities Environmental Assessment Upheld Under CEQA," August 5, 2019
J.D., College of William and Mary, 2013
B.A., Bucknell University, 2010, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa