Josh McLane is a partner in the Tax Practice Group in the firm's Orange County office.
Areas of Practice
Josh's practice focuses on the tax aspects of complex business transactions and reorganizations, including mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy restructurings, fund formation, and real estate transactions.
Since joining Sheppard Mullin, some of Josh’s representative transactions have included:
- Joseph Phelps Vineyards, one of the best-known California wine makers, in its pending sale to Moët Hennessy, the world-leading luxury wine and spirits division of LVMH.
- Prospect Medical Holdings, Inc. in its pending sale of two Connecticut health systems to Yale New Haven Health, including the health systems’ related businesses, real estate assets, physician clinic operations and outpatient services.
- Fortistar, a privately owned investment firm, and its portfolio company OPAL Fuels LLC, a leading vertically integrated producer and distributor of renewable natural gas, in its combination with ArcLight Clean Transition Corp. II (Nasdaq: ACTD), a publicly traded special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), that will result in OPAL Fuels becoming a publicly listed company with a value of $1.75 billion.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, some of Josh’s representative transactions included:
- H.I.G. Capital Management in its sale of Quicken Holdings, LLC, a leading provider of personal financial management software and services, to an investment affiliate of Aquiline Capital Partners.
- Janus International Group, Inc. (NYSE: JBI) (Janus), a global manufacturer and supplier of turn-key building solutions and new access control technologies for the self-storage industry, in its acquisition of DBCI, a manufacturer of steel roll-up doors and building products for both the commercial and self-storage industries and a part of Cornerstone Building Brands (NYSE: CNR).
- Clearlake Capital Group in its acquisitions of:
- Valcour Packaging LLC (Mold-Rite Plastics), a leading provider of high-quality plastic packaging components, from affiliates of Irving Place Capital.
- Springs Window Fashions from affiliates of AEA Investors, LP and British Columbia Investment Management Corporation.
- BakeMark USA, a manufacturer and distributor of bakery ingredients, products and supplies, from Pamplona Capital Management.
- TKE Holdings, Inc. (Dimora Brands), which designs, distributes and manufactures cabinet hardware, door hardware, faucets, accessories and other related products from The Jordan Company.
- The Wellness Pet Food Holdings Company, Inc., a global supplier of a family of premium pet food and treat brands, from affiliates of Berwind Corporation.
- PriSo Holding Corporation (PrimeSource), a provider of construction fastening solutions and other complementary special building products, from Platinum Equity Capital Partners.
- IXS Holdings, Inc., a leading provider of coating solutions and vehicle upfit services to OEMs, the automotive aftermarket, and diversified industrial end markets, from Olympus Partners.
- Pretium Packaging, a leading full-service designer and manufacturer of rigid packaging solutions for specialized applications, from Genstar Capital and other institutional and private investors.
- Team Technologies Holding Company, a leading manufacturer, developer, and distributor in the dental, oral, cosmetic and personal care industries, from The Riverside Company and other institutional and private investors.
- ASP Unifrax Holdings, Inc., a global specialty materials platform that provides thermal management, emissions control, filtration, fire protection and energy solutions for a variety of end markets and applications.
- Wheel Pro Holdings, LLC, a leading designer, marketer, and distributor of branded automotive aftermarket wheels, performance tires, and accessories.
- Pretium Packaging in its acquisition of Alpha Consolidated Holdings Inc., a manufacturer of plastic bottles and jars for personal care products, pharmaceuticals, nutritional supplements, household chemicals, automotive chemicals and specialty foods, from affiliates of Irving Place Capital.
- PrimeSource Building Products Inc. in its acquisitions of:
- WHP Holdco Inc. (Wolf Home Products), which supplies kitchen cabinets and building products, including decking, deck rails, trim boards and PVC siding, from affiliates of Tenex Capital Management.
- NWI Enterprises, Inc. (Nationwide Industries), which supplies specialty hardware to OEMs, distributors, and installers in the fence and gate, railing, and patio markets from The Harbour Group.
- Riggs Distler & Company, Inc. in its $855 million sale to Southwest Gas Holdings, Inc.’s (NYSE: SWX) wholly-owned subsidiary, Centuri Group, Inc.
- Oaktree Capital Portfolio Company J&J Ventures Gaming LLC in its acquisition of Illinois Gaming Systems LLC, a video gaming terminal operator.
- Oaktree Capital Management in its equity investment in WHP Global, a new brand management platform, and WHP’s acquisitions of (i) global fashion brand Anne Klein and (ii) a controlling interest in Tru Kids Inc., parent company to the iconic Toys "R" Us®, Babies "R" Us®, Geoffrey® the Giraffe brands, and more than 20 established related consumer toy and baby brands.
- Madison Dearborn Partners and its portfolio company Performance Health in the sale of its Biofreeze brand to Reckitt Benckiser Group.
- Lionbridge AI in $935 million sale to TELUS International, a subsidiary of TELUS Corporation (T-TSX; NYSE-TU) and a provider of digital customer experience (CX) innovator that designs, builds and delivers next-generation solutions for global and disruptive brands.
- Founders of MediaAlpha, including CEO and co-founder Steven Yi, in connection with MediaAlpha’s IPO.
- Open Road Capital and Bain Capital Credit in the formation of a strategic partnership to make long-term equity investments in automobile, heavy truck, recreational vehicle and heavy equipment dealerships and other transportation companies.
- Industrial Growth Partners in its acquisitions of:
- ASPEQ Heating Group LLC, a St. Louis, Missouri based manufacturer of highly engineered electric-heating and thermal-management technologies.
- Electric Power Systems International, Inc., a leading provider of outsourced electrical engineering, testing, repair and maintenance services.
- Industrial Growth Partners in its sales of
- Integrated Global Services, Inc., a leading provider of highly engineered, proprietary surface protection solutions and technologies, to an investment affiliate of J.F. Lehman & Company.
- IOTA Engineering, a leading manufacturer of back-up power supply equipment for commercial, industrial and institutional emergency lighting applications, to Acuity Brands, Inc.
- Grakon Parent Inc. to Methode Electronics, Inc. (NYSE:MEI), a global developer of custom engineered and application-specific products and solutions.
- Southern Petroleum Laboratories, Inc., a portfolio company of Industrial Growth Partners, in its purchase of the laboratory and measurement services business of Banded Iron U.S. Inc.
- GI Partners, a leading middle-market alternative asset manager, on the sale of a passive, non-voting minority stake in its business to Blackstone’s (NYSE: BX) Strategic Capital Group.
- Mycom Group Limited, a leading global provider of cloud native assurance, automation and analytics software suites for communications service providers and managed service providers and enterprises, in its sale to Inflexion Private Equity.
- Coriant in its sale to Infinera, provider of Intelligent Transport Networks.
- Shamrock Capital Advisors, LLC in its sale of Giant Creative Holding, LLC, a leading provider of advertising services for pharmaceutical, biotech, consumer health, medical device and diagnostic companies.
- Bain Capital Private Equity on its acquisition of a majority stake in US LBM, a leading distributor of specialty building materials, and US LBM in its acquisition of American Construction Source, a leading national building materials distribution platform for custom home builders and repair and remodel contractors.
- Bain Capital in its acquisition of Dealer Tire, LLC, a national leader in replacement tire distribution for automotive dealerships, and Dealer Tire in its acquisition of Dent Wizard, the largest national provider of automotive reconditioning services and vehicle protection products.
Recognized for US Taxes: Non-Contentious by The Legal 500 United States, 2019
“Highly Regarded” - Transactional Tax, International Tax Review
Bankruptcy Tax Specialist, Turnarounds & Workouts Magazine
Corporate and Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Key Corporate Tax Aspects of the New Inflation Reduction Act," August 22, 2022
BYU Management Society
J. Reuben Clark Law Society
Certified Public Accountant, California (inactive)
J.D., J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, 2008, cum laude
B.S., Accounting, Marriott School of Management, Brigham Young University, 2005
- United States Tax Court