Joy Nemirow is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Palo Alto office.
Areas of Practice
Dr. Nemirow specializes in patent preparation, prosecution and strategy in the pharmaceutical, biotech, and chemical fields. She has extensive experience developing global patent portfolios, particularly covering small molecules, syntheses, polymorphs, formulations, and methods of use. Dr. Nemirow analyzes the validity of patents, freedom-to-operate, and inventorship and provides opinions and litigation strategies regarding validity and infringement in the ANDA context.
Dr. Nemirow also performs due diligence on patent portfolios for various types of transactions, including acquisitions, initial public offerings, and follow-on financing, with experience in representing the company and underwriter.
She received her Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of Southern California. Her graduate research focused on the design and synthesis of novel bisphosphonates for their applications as fluorescent drug probes and as potential dental adhesives. As a graduate student, she was a member of the Interdisciplinary Program of Drug Discovery, where she gained vital exposure to the multidisciplinary fields of medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, and chemical biology. During law school, she served as the Chief Research Editor of the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review.
Ones to Watch — Intellectual Property Law, Best Lawyers, 2021
Northern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2017-2021
- J. L. F. Bala, Note, Amicus Briefs: Sounding Off on Reforming Inequitable Conduct, 45 LOY. L.A. L. REV. 125 (2011)
- C. E. McKenna, B. A. Kashemirov, & J. L. F. Bala. U.S. Patent No. 8,431,714
- J. L. F. Bala, B. A. Kashemirov, & C. E. McKenna, Synthesis of a Novel Bisphosphonic Acid Alkene Monomer, 40 SYNTHETIC COMM. 3577 (2010)
- C. E. McKenna, B. A. Kashemirov, K. M. Blazewska, I. Mallard-Favier, C. A. Stewart, J. Rojas, M. W. Lundy, F. H. Ebetino, R. A. Baron, J. E. Dunford, M. L. Kirsten, M. C. Seabra, J. L. Bala, M. S. Marma, M. J. Rogers, F. P. Coxon, Synthesis, chiral high performance liquid chromatographic resolution and enantiospecific activity of a potent new geranylgeranyl transferase inhibitor, 2-hydroxy-3-imidazo[1,2-a]pyridin-3-yl-2-phosphonopropionic acid, 53 J. MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY 3454 (2010)
- A. J. Roelofs, F. P. Coxon, F. H. Ebetino, M. W. Lundy, Z. J. Henneman, G. H. Nancollas, S. Sun, K. M. Blazewska, J. L. Bala, B. A. Kashemirov, A. B. Khalid, C. E. McKenna, M. J. Rogers, Fluorescent risedronate analogues reveal bisphosphonate uptake by bone marrow monocytes and localization around osteocytes in vivo. 25 J. BONE MINERAL RES. 606 (2010)
- A. Boyde, M. W. Lundy, F. P. Coxon, C. E. McKenna, A. Roelofs, J. Bala, M. J. Rogers, K. Blazewska, R. G.G. Russelle, & F. H. Ebetino, The differential distribution in vivo of fluorescently-labeled bisphosphonate analogues with different mineral affinity to bone surfaces, 44 BONE S57 (2009)
- B. A. Kashemirov, J. L. F. Bala, X. Chen, F. H. Ebetino, Z. Xia, R. G. G. Russell, F. P. Coxon, A. J. Roelofs, M. J. Rogers, & C. E. McKenna, Fluorescently Labeled Risedronate and Related Analogues: “Magic Linker” Synthesis, 19 BIOCONJUGATE CHEMISTRY 2308 (2008)
- F. P. Coxon, J. L. Bala, B. A. Kashemirov, A. J. Roelofs, M. Lundy, X. Chen, Z. Xia, J. E. Dunford, R. G. Russell, M. J. Rogers, C. E. McKenna, & F. Ebetino, Fluorescently labeled risedronate and related analocs: Design and evaluation as imaging probes, 82 CALCIFIED TISSUE INT’L S127 (2008)
- A. J. Roelofs, F. P. Coxon, F. H. Ebetino, J. F. Bala, B. A. Kashemirov, C. E. McKenna, M. J. Rogers, Visualisation of cellular uptake and localisation of bisphosphonate in vivo using a fluorescent analogue of risedronate, 82 CALCIFIED TISSUE INT’L S59 (2008)
- F. P. Coxon, J. L. Bala, B. A. Kashemirov, M. W. Lundy, X. L. Chen, Z. Xia, J. E. Dunford, G. G. Russell, A. J. Roelofs, M. J. Rogers, C. E. McKenna, & F. H. Ebetino, Fluorescently labeled risedronate and related analogs: Design and evaluation as imaging probes, 42 BONE S36 (2008)
- A. J. Roelofs, F. P. Coxon, F. H. Ebetino, J. F. Bala, B. A. Kashemirov, C. E. McKenna, & M. J. Rogers, Use of a fluorescent analogue of risedronate to study localisation and cellular uptake of bisphosphonates in vivo, 42 BONE (2008) S85
- A. J. Roelofs, F. P. Coxon, M. W. Lundy, F. H. Ebetino, J. F. Bala, B. A. Kashemirov, C. E. McKenna, & M. J. Rogers, Studying Cellular Uptake and Distribution of Bisphosphonate in vivo Using Fluorescently-labelled Analogues of Risedronate, 23 J. BONE MINER. RES. S20 (2008)
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- "Federal Circuit Confirms Addition of Two Inventors of Groundbreaking Immunotherapies for Cancer," July 15, 2020
Life Sciences Law Blog Posts
- "PTO Cancer Immunotherapy Fast Track," July 6, 2016
- Global Legal Chronicle, 09.25.2018
- Bloomberg BNA, 01.09.2015