- J.D, Harvard University, 1986, cum laude
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1983, summa cum laude
Jon Newby is the Vice-Chairman of Sheppard Mullin and former Co-Leader of the Corporate Practice Group. He has been practicing with the firm since 1986 and is based in the Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Newby represents public and private companies in connection with mergers and acquisitions, financings, including private placements and venture and private equity financings, and general corporate matters, including with respect to the structuring and implementation of joint ventures and strategic alliances. Mr. Newby's clients range from large public to emerging growth companies in a variety of industries, including technology, life sciences, construction products, food and beverage, manufacturing and consumer products. Mr. Newby also represents equity sponsors, investment banks and other institutional firms.
- Southern California Super Lawyer, 2008-2015
- Legal 500, 2011-2014
Mergers and acquisitions of both private and public companies
Numerous private equity transactions
In-bound and out-bound cross-border transactions
Distressed company M&A transactions, including in bankruptcies
Redemptions, dissolutions and other "corporate divorces"
Numerous private placements of equity and debt securities, including venture capital transactions
Joint venture(s) and strategic alliances
- World Intellectual Property Review, April 17, 2018
- Law360, April 16, 2018
- Texas Lawyer, April 16, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin Adds Partners To Corporate PracticeLaw360, August 15, 2017
- December 19, 2003
- Mr. Newby is a frequent lecturer on mergers and acquisitions as well as other corporate transactions.
- Finding Value in a Rising MarketJune 26, 2012
- The Montage Beverly Hills, October 14, 2009
- Growth Strategies - M&A - FinanceThe Beverly Hilton Hotel, September 15, 2009
- Member, American Bar Association (Business Section)
- Member, State Bar of California (Business Section)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association (Business Section)