- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2014
- B.A., University of San Diego, 2010, cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
John ("J.D.") Rees is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
John’s practice currently focuses on trusts and estates litigation. In that practice area, he represents individuals and institutions with various disputes occurring in California probate court, such as trust and will contests, fiduciary-removal cases, conservatorships, and guardianships. John also works with Business Trial partners representing clients in civil disputes. In the past, John has worked in an array of practice areas, including insurance bad faith, consumer financial services, general commercial disputes, and entertainment litigation.
By the end of his fourth year, John has second-chaired two trials, managed a team of six attorneys handling discovery and document review/production, and has taken and assisted at depositions, including expert depositions.
In his spare time, John enjoys coaching law students at UCLA for mock-trial competitions, playing basketball in the Landau Lawyer League, and writing articles about cryptocurrencies and the law.
- Cryptocurrencies and Trustees’ Duty to Invest Prudently: Navigating Fiduciary Duties in The Age of DecentralizationTrust and Estates Quarterly – Volume 24, Issue 3, 2018
- Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine, April 2018
- Land of Confusion: Attorney-Client Privilege and Duty of Confidentiality in Guardianships and ConservatorshipsCalifornia Trusts and Estates Quarterly – Volume 23, Issue 4, 2017
- "Crypto and Blockchain 101 for California Estate Planners, Fiduciaries, and Fiduciary-Litigation Counsel." San Francisco Estate Planning Council (May 2019)
- Secretary, Executive Committee, LACBA Barristers/Young Attorneys Section
- Member, LACBA, LACBA Trusts and Estates Section
- Attorney Coach, UCLA School of Law Mock Trial Program