- J.D., University of Southern California
- B.A., University of Vermont
- Externed for the Honorable Alfred T. Goodwin, Senior Circuit Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- All California state and federal courts
Jason Weiss is a partner in the Labor & Employment Practice Group in the firm's Orange County office.
Areas of Practice
Jason specializes in representing employers, from multinational corporations to start-ups, on a wide variety of employment and labor relations matters, ranging from wrongful termination and unfair competition lawsuits to preventive counseling and advice.
Jason's employment litigation experience includes handling cases at the trial and appellate levels of both state and federal courts and in arbitration. He also represents management in:
- wage/hour matters before the U.S. Department of Labor and the California Labor Commissioner
- discrimination claims filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act whistleblower claims
- unemployment insurance claims, and
- Section 132a discrimination petitions filed with the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board
Jason's preventive counseling practice includes the drafting and implementation of employee handbooks, workplace policies and employment contracts. He has also guided employers through reduction-in-force programs, including compliance with state and federal laws such as the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN"). Jason regularly conducts in-house training seminars and workshops for clients, and provides day-to-day counseling and advice.
Jason's practice extends to the business law arena, where he has experience and expertise in a range of business issues including contract disputes, trade secrets, interference claims, unfair competition, and intellectual property disputes.
- Selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers, 2009-2012
- Named among the Top 50 Orange County lawyers by Southern California Super Lawyers, 2010
- "Sheppard Mullin Lands Allen Matkins Employment Pro," Law360, September 18, 2012
- "Keeping Secrets," California Employment Law, June 2007
- "The Case for Greater Internal Trade Secret Protection," California Employment Law Quarterly, June 2007
- "Litigation 101 for the HR Professional," Human Resources 2007, January 2007
- "Combating Harassment," San Francisco Daily Journal, November 2006
- "Non-Competition Agreements: Their Lifespan and Other Methods to Protect a Company's Most Valuable Commodities," Workforce Management Online, June 2006
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law, University of California, Irvine Graduate School of Management (Paul Merage School of Business)
- Orange County Bar Association, Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Professionals in Human Resources Association (PIHRA)
- Strategic Human Resources (SHR), Consultant
- President, Board of Trustees, St. Margaret’s Episcopal School (San Juan Capistrano, California)
- Advisor, Prentice School (Santa Ana, California)