Kathleen (Katie) M. O'Neill is an associate in the Corporate Practice Group and member of the Healthcare Team located in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Katie O’Neill advises a broad range of healthcare industry participants, including physician groups, healthcare investors, non-profit hospital systems and their affiliates, and insurance companies. She seeks to understand each client’s business and compliance issues and then find practical and efficient legal solutions to solve problems and reduce risk. Katie’s practice centers on commercial contracting, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and legal/operational issues. She regularly structures and negotiates arrangements involving physician and mid-level employment matters, administrative/management services, professional services, ancillary services (e.g., laboratory services, imaging modalities, fertility and cancer treatments, DME, etc.), and healthcare purchasing/supply chain matters.
Katie’s transactional practice is supported by her experience with federal and state law governing healthcare operations (e.g., corporate practice of medicine, fraud and abuse, licensure, commercial and governmental payor reimbursement, and peer review/fair hearings, including related state and federal reporting requirements). As a former registered nurse, Katie’s clinical experience informs her practical understanding of the healthcare industry and its benefits and challenges.
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "SCOTUS (Almost) Weighs in on Attorney-Client Privilege for Dual Purpose Communications: 5 Practical Tips to Protect Privilege," February 9, 2023
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "Tick-Tock – Time for Healthcare Employers to Review Their Internet and Social Media Use Policies!," February 27, 2023
- "Navigating Dual Purpose Communications After SCOTUS (Almost) Weighs in on Attorney-Client Privilege: 5 Practical Tips for Healthcare Attorneys," February 13, 2023
- "Are You Ready for 2023? Here’s a Quick Checklist to Reduce Legal Risks in the New Year," January 4, 2023
- "Who is a Manager or Supervisor Excluded from California’s Healthcare Worker Retention Payment Program?," December 16, 2022
- "Important Deadline Approaches for California Healthcare Employers to Apply for Worker Retention Payments," November 11, 2022
- "How Healthcare Employers Can Prepare for Employee Unionization Efforts," October 28, 2022
- "Recap of AHLA’s Annual Meeting," July 5, 2022
- "Top 10 Questions Asked By Medical Group Clients In Response To COVID-19," March 25, 2020
- "COVID-19 — Legal Guide for Medical Groups," March 24, 2020
- "Implementation of Final Health Care Decisions: Practical Advice for Attorneys," San Diego County Bar Association, November 6, 2019
J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2015, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
B.S., Nursing, Loyola University of Chicago, 2009, magna cum laude
- Legal Extern at Lurie Children’s
- Legal Extern to the Honorable Sidney I. Schenkier, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois