Kathleen (Katie) M. O'Neill is an associate in the Corporate Practice Group and member of the Healthcare Team located in the firm's Chicago office. Katie has been recognized by Best Lawyers as One to Watch for Health Care Law.
Areas of Practice
Katie O’Neill guides healthcare clients through strategic transactions and legal issues impacting daily operations. As a former registered nurse, Katie is resourceful and practical in helping clients resolve legal issues and reduce risk. She advises a broad range of industry participants, including physician groups, private equity investors, management services organizations, non-profit health systems, and payors.
Her transactional practice centers on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other strategic affiliations. Katie’s advisory practice spans corporate governance, commercial contracting, and a variety of other healthcare issues. She regularly negotiates services arrangements (administrative, management, ancillary and professional services, purchasing and supply chain) and employment contracts (physicians, dentists, advanced practice nurses, physician assistants, other provider types).
Katie keeps up to date on federal and state laws governing healthcare operations, including corporate practice of medicine, reimbursement, fraud and abuse, licensing, and peer review, including related reporting. Her practice is further supported by frequent collaboration with colleagues in employee benefits, financing, labor and employment, non-profits, real estate, and tax.
"Ones to Watch," Best Lawyers, 2024
Recommended Lawyer: Healthcare, Legal 500, 2023
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "SCOTUS (Almost) Weighs in on Attorney-Client Privilege for Dual Purpose Communications: 5 Practical Tips to Protect Privilege," February 9, 2023
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "Get Prepared – Newly Mandated Cultural Competency Training for Illinois Healthcare Providers," August 31, 2023
- "Do Your Medical Director Arrangements Meet the Top Five Best Practices?," June 15, 2023
- "Tick-Tock – Time for Healthcare Employers to Review Their Internet and Social Media Use Policies!," February 27, 2023
- "Navigating Dual Purpose Communications After SCOTUS (Almost) Weighs in on Attorney-Client Privilege: 5 Practical Tips for Healthcare Attorneys," February 13, 2023
- "Are You Ready for 2023? Here’s a Quick Checklist to Reduce Legal Risks in the New Year," January 4, 2023
- "Who is a Manager or Supervisor Excluded from California’s Healthcare Worker Retention Payment Program?," December 16, 2022
- "Important Deadline Approaches for California Healthcare Employers to Apply for Worker Retention Payments," November 11, 2022
- "How Healthcare Employers Can Prepare for Employee Unionization Efforts," October 28, 2022
- "Recap of AHLA’s Annual Meeting," July 5, 2022
- "Top 10 Questions Asked By Medical Group Clients In Response To COVID-19," March 25, 2020
- "COVID-19 — Legal Guide for Medical Groups," March 24, 2020
- "Implementation of Final Health Care Decisions: Practical Advice for Attorneys," San Diego County Bar Association, November 6, 2019
J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2015, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
B.S., Nursing, Loyola University of Chicago, 2009, magna cum laude
- Legal Extern at Lurie Children’s
- Legal Extern to the Honorable Sidney I. Schenkier, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois