Lorna Tanner is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm’s Silicon Valley and San Francisco offices and is the former leader of the firm’s Life Sciences team.
"Lorna has a great strategic mind."
- Chambers USA, 2023
Areas of Practice
Lorna designs and implements global patent portfolios for drugs and biologics for dynamic startups, mid-size pharmaceutical, and global pharmaceutical companies. She has worked on patent portfolios relating to 15 approved drugs and biologics. Her practice is highly focused on drug candidates and approved therapeutics and counseling clients on IP issues relating product launch, including patent term extensions, Orange Book listings, and pre- and post-grant challenges. She also has an extensive diligence practice relating to initial and follow on public offerings, in-licensing, out-licensing, mergers, and collaborations and opinion practice relating to financings, inventorship, and freedom to operate.
While Lorna’s emphasis is in small molecules in clinical development, she also has in depth experience with antibodies, modified proteins and viruses; immunotherapy such as CAR T; biopolymers; drug delivery, including pulmonary, topical, and pharmaceutical formulations. Lorna also has experience with green technologies and agricultural products.
Clients have commented that Lorna is “an exceptionally good life sciences practitioner.”
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. - Prosecuting numerous patent portfolios directed to hepatitis C and cardiovascular approved drugs and drugs in development.
- Global Blood Therapeutics, Inc., acquired by Pfizer - Developing and prosecuting patent portfolio directed to voxelotor and other compounds in the pipeline.
- Denali Therapeutics, Inc. - Prosecuting numerous patent portfolios directed to several targets, including the foundational IP licensed to Biogen and also Sanofi.
- Structure Therapeutics, Inc. – Prosecuting numerous patent portfolios directed to lead molecules.
- Theravance, Inc. – Prosecuting numerous patent portfolios relating to drug products and drug candidates.
- Outside patent counsel to publicly traded biopharma company, prosecuting patents relating to drug candidates for treating anemia.
- Outside patent counsel to numerous emerging biopharma companies developing and prosecuting patents directed to drug discovery assays, medical devices and combination drug products.
Top 250 Women in IP, Managing Intellectual Property, 2023
Global IP Strategist, IAM Strategy 300 Global Leaders, 2022-2023
Leading IP Strategist, IAM Strategy 300, 2022-2023
Leading Lawyer, Intellectual Property: Patent Prosecution – California, Chambers USA, 2022-2023
Patent Strategy Attorney of the Year - California, LMG Life Sciences, 2021
Leading Life Sciences Lawyer - Intellectual Property (Patent Strategy & Management), 2021-2023
The World's Leading Patent Professionals, IAM Patent 1000, 2019, 2021-2023
Patent IP Star, Managing Intellectual Property, 2020-2022
Intellectual Property Star, Patent Strategy & Management, LMG Life Sciences, 2019
Top Intellectual Property Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2018-2019
Women Leaders in Tech Law, The Recorder, 2017
Recognized for patent prosecution work, Legal 500, 2011
- Co-author, "America Invents Act: Law & Analysis," Wolters Kluwer, 2012
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- "Federal Circuit Confirms Addition of Two Inventors of Groundbreaking Immunotherapies for Cancer," July 15, 2020
- "Congress Gives Patent and Trademark Office Temporary Authorization to Move Deadlines in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic" March 27, 2020
- Global Legal Chronicle, 09.25.2018
- Women Leaders in Tech Law: Lorna Tanner, Sheppard MullinThe Recorder, 10.02.2017
J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2002
B.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1999
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit