Michael Campbell is an associate in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Michael represents employers in all aspects of labor and employment litigation in defense of complaints for class action, collective action, representative PAGA actions, and single-plaintiff matters in both court and arbitration. He has successfully litigated and obtained complete defense awards in a multi-plaintiff arbitration, a single-plaintiff discrimination and wage-and-hour arbitration, obtained summary judgment in court, as well as favorably resolved cases involving allegations of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination. He also has experience with both class, collective, and representative actions and single-plaintiff wage-and-hour matters involving claims relating to overtime, meal periods and rest breaks, misclassification, inaccurate wage statements, and other derivative claims.
Michael has successfully drafted and argued motions, including demurrers, motions to compel arbitration, discovery motions, and motions for summary judgment. He has also defended and taken depositions, and prepared witnesses for deposition. He has experience with all aspects of civil litigation defense from case inception through arbitration.
Michael represents employers in a variety of industries including financial services, banking, retail, healthcare, education, hospitality, manufacturing, entertainment, and public employers.
- "Preparing for the Affordable Care Act Employer Mandate," Corporate Counsel, February 7, 2014
Labor and Employment Law Blog Articles
- "Labor Commissioner Issues FAQs for Supplemental COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave Law," March 29, 2021
- "California Enacts Expansive, Retroactive Supplemental COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave Law," March 24, 2021
- "Employees Cannot Obtain 'Double Recovery' of Unpaid Wages and Premiums for Non-Compliant Rest Breaks," October 26, 2020
- "California Issues Guidance on Conditional Suspension of California WARN Act Notice Requirements," March 24, 2020
- "California Appellate Court Clarifies the Monetary Amount for Meal Period, Rest Break, and Recovery Period Premiums, and Affirms an Employer’s Neutral Rounding Policy," November 4, 2019
- "Managers Beware: Can you be held personally liable for wage and hour violations?" December 21, 2018
- "California Court Reaffirms And Extends Rounding Rules," July 11, 2018
- "The Ending Forced Arbitration of Sexual Harassment Act May Apply To More Than Sexual Harassment," December 22, 2017
- "New PAGA Amendments Fail to Substantively Address Employers’ Concerns," July 19, 2016
- "California Employers Exhale Relief, Governor Vetoes Ban on Employment Arbitration Agreement," October 16, 2015
- "New Decision Examines the Scope of Constructive Discharge," January 10, 2014
J.D., University of Southern California, 2013, Notes Editor, Interdisciplinary Law Journal
B.F.A., Chapman University, 2008, magna cum laude
- Law Clerk to United States Attorney's Office, Southern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California