- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2002, cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.A., San Diego State University, 1999
- Extern to Justice Ming W. Chin, California Supreme Court
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Northern and Eastern Districts of California
Moe Keshavarzi is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Keshavarzi is a trial lawyer who handles complex commercial, consumer, false advertising and healthcare litigation. He has defended clients in class actions and government enforcement actions brought by City and District Attorneys and the Attorney General on behalf of the People of the State of California, in federal and state courts involving claims for violations of state and federal antitrust laws, California Unfair Competition and False Advertising Laws, California Consumer Legal Remedies Act and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO). He represents clients in a variety of industries, including retail, healthcare and insurance.
In the healthcare arena, Mr. Keshavarzi’s experience involves representing health plans and insurers in complex matters ranging from class actions to complex commercial actions, including disputes with providers.
In the retail field, Mr. Keshavarzi represents major retailers in class actions involving advertising and promotional practices. He also provides regular advertising and promotional practices review and advice for retailers and consumer product manufacturers throughout the country.
Mr. Keshavarzi has handled numerous jury trials in both state and federal courts in cases involving breach of contract, fraud and unfair competition. He also has extensive appellate experience and has argued matters before the California Court of Appeal, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Florida Supreme Court.
Mr. Keshavarzi is a Co-Chair of the Los Angeles Office Recruiting Committee and West Coast Chair of Pro Bono for the firm. He is actively involved in pro bono work and impact litigation and serves on the boards of directors of Western Center for Law and Poverty in Los Angeles and the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law in Washington D.C.
- Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2009-2016
- Obtained orders decertifying class and dismissing class action complaint against Knox-Keene Act health plan.
- Defeated class certification on behalf of national retailer in class action alleging false advertising.
- Secured dismissal and recovered attorney’s fees for one of California’s largest workers’ compensation insurers in action alleging violation of California antitrust laws.
- Obtained complete dismissal at the pleading stage of class action complaint against online retailer.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for national retailer after month-long jury trial in action alleging breach of contract.
- Obtained dismissal of action against insurer by providers involving claims related to insurers’ Medical Provider Network.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for oil company after bench trial in action alleging unfair competition.
- Obtained summary judgment for real estate firm in breach of contract action seeking specific performance.
- Secured dismissal of multiple complaints for several workers’ compensation insurers in several parallel actions alleging violations of California workers’ compensation statutes.
- Secured dismissal of class action complaint against manufacturer alleging illegal recording of telephone calls in violation of California Penal Code Section 632 and 632.7.
- Secured summary judgment in favor of oil company alleging negligence.
- Secured dismissal of federal class action complaint for financial services client involving allegations of unfair competition and fraud.
- Secured dismissal of federal class action complaint for online retailer involving alleged violations of California Penal Code 632.7.
- Representation of several insurance companies in the largest class action filed in California’s Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board.
- Representation of online advertising company in lawsuit alleging violations of the CAN-SPAM Act.
- Representation of insurer in action by several providers who were not admitted into insurer’s Medical Provider Network.
- Advice and counselling to several insurers in connection with creation and modification of Medical Provider Networks.
- May 7, 2010
- "Electronic Discovery: New Rules Also Affect E-Discovery of Nonparties", The National Law Journal, March 19, 2007
- "Supreme Court Gets Into Split Over Class-Action Arbitrations", July 12, 2005
- "Validity of Arbitration Clauses Prohibiting Class Actions After Green Tree," Journal of Payment Systems Law, Vol.1, No.4, June/July 2005, p.367.
- "Case Tests Validity of Class Action Waiver in Arbitration", April 15, 2005
- Member, Los Angeles Bar Association
- Board Member, Western Center on Law and Poverty
- Board Member, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law
- Board of Governors, UC Hastings College of the Law