Moe Keshavarzi is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Moe is a trial and appellate litigator and represents healthcare entities and insurers in their most complex civil disputes. He also represents and counsels clients in connection with governmental investigations and regulatory enforcement actions. Moe’s experience also includes representing clients in litigation involving challenges to statutes and regulations on constitutional grounds.
In addition to representing clients in litigation, Moe also advises clients on a wide range of issues, including compliance with state and federal laws applicable to health plans and insurers such as the Knox-Keene Act and the Affordable Care Act.
Moe is actively involved in pro bono work and impact litigation and serves on the boards of directors of Public Counsel and the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law. Moe was honored with the ACLU’s 2020 Youth Justice Award for his work as ACLU Southern California’s co-counsel in connection with Sigma Beta XI v. County of Riverside, which successfully challenged the constitutionality of Riverside’s Youth Accountability Team program and its school-to-prison pipeline for discriminating against students, with a disproportionate impact on Black and Latinx youth.
- Represented a healthcare trade organization in successful challenge to emergency regulation on the grounds that it violated the California Constitution and the Administrative Procedures Act.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Knox-Keene Act health plan in lawsuit seeking imposition of California’s Gross Premiums Tax on the ground that the health plan is an insurer.
- After month-long arbitration, obtained complete defense victory on behalf of health plan in dispute with non-contracted provider seeking over $45 million for services rendered to plan members.
- After two-week arbitration, obtained complete defense victory on behalf of health plan in dispute with non-contracted provider challenging the plan’s reimbursement methodology.
- In ERISA class action alleging improper denial of coverage for mental health services, obtained summary judgment on behalf of health plan.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of health plan in breach of contract dispute with air ambulance provider.
- Secured dismissal and recovered attorney’s fees for one of California’s largest workers’ compensation insurers in action alleging violation of California antitrust laws.
- Obtained orders decertifying class and dismissing class action complaint against Knox-Keene Act health plan.
- Defeated class certification on behalf of national retailer in class action alleging false advertising.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for national retailer after month-long jury trial in action alleging breach of contract.
- Obtained complete defense verdict after month-long trial in lawsuit against retailer alleging breach of contract and unfair competition.
- Leading U.S. Litigator, Lawdragon, 2022
- Client Service All-Star, BTI Consulting, 2020, 2022
- Daily Journal, 09.22.2022
- Member, Los Angeles Bar Association
- Board Member, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law
- Member, Board of Governors, UC Hastings College of the Law
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 2002, cum laude, Order of the Coif
B.A., San Diego State University, 1999
- Extern to Justice Ming W. Chin of the California Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Northern and Eastern Districts of California