Moe Keshavarzi is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Moe counsels clients in the healthcare, insurance and retail sectors, with a particular emphasis on representing health plans and health insurers in federal and state courts throughout the country.
In the healthcare arena, Moe represents health care entities in in their most complex civil disputes throughout the country, including class actions, claims for bad faith denial of benefits and general commercial disputes. He also represents and counsels retail clients in class actions alleging claims for false advertising, unfair competition, breach of contract and antitrust violations.
Moe is Head of Pro Bono for the firm's West Coast offices. He is actively involved in pro bono work and impact litigation and serves on the boards of directors of Public Counsel and Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law. For his work as co-counsel with the ACLU of Southern California, in connection with the Sigma Beta XI v. County of Riverside case which successfully challenged the constitutionality of Riverside’s Youth Accountability Team program and its school-to-prison pipeline, on the ground that it discriminates against students, with a disproportionate impact on Black and Latinx youth, Moe was awarded the ACLU’s 2020 Youth Justice Award.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Knox-Keene Act health plan in lawsuit seeking imposition of California’s Gross Premiums Tax on the ground that the health plan is an insurer.
- After month-long arbitration, obtained complete defense victory on behalf of health plan in dispute with non-contracted provider seeking over $45 million for services rendered to plan members.
- After two-week arbitration, obtained complete defense victory on behalf of health plan in dispute with non-contracted provider challenging the plan’s reimbursement methodology.
- In ERISA class action alleging improper denial of coverage for mental health services, obtained summary judgment on behalf of health plan.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of health plan in breach of contract dispute with air ambulance provider.
- Secured dismissal and recovered attorney’s fees for one of California’s largest workers’ compensation insurers in action alleging violation of California antitrust laws.
- Obtained orders decertifying class and dismissing class action complaint against Knox-Keene Act health plan.
- Defeated class certification on behalf of national retailer in class action alleging false advertising.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for national retailer after month-long jury trial in action alleging breach of contract.
- Obtained complete defense verdict after month-long trial in lawsuit against retailer alleging breach of contract and unfair competition.
- Client Service All-Star, BTI Consulting, 2020
- Member, Los Angeles Bar Association
- Board Member, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law
- Member, Board of Governors, UC Hastings College of the Law
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 2002, cum laude, Order of the Coif
B.A., San Diego State University, 1999
- Extern to Justice Ming W. Chin of the California Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Northern and Eastern Districts of California