- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2006, Northwestern University Law Review, Associate Editor; Dean's List; Kirkland & Ellis Diversity Fellowship Recipient, 2005
- B.A., Philosophy, Politics and Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 2002
- Extern to the Honorable Amy St. Eve, Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
Marisa Miller is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the San Diego (Del Mar) office. Ms. Miller leads the Wildfire Litigation Team and is a member of the firm’s Energy, Infrastructure and Project Finance, International Arbitration, and Construction Litigation Teams.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Miller represents clients in commercial litigation matters, regularly handling disputes involving contracts, corporate governance, partnership and fiduciary relationships, inverse condemnation and other strict liability claims, business tort, and fraud. These matters range from high-stakes, complex commercial disputes to matters involving energy, environmental, statutory, technology, and shareholder rights issues. She has experience advising clients in all stages of litigation, from pre-lawsuit strategy and advice to post-trial motions and appeals. Her practice also includes international and domestic arbitration, as well as regulatory matters. Ms. Miller has trial experience, representing clients in jury trials, bench trials, and domestic and international arbitrations.
Ms. Miller also has significant pro bono experience. She has represented indigent defendants in immigration and criminal cases. She has successfully argued an appeal of a client's sentence before the Seventh Circuit and has drafted the first successful motion under the federal Innocence Protection Act, which secured her client access to DNA testing that could demonstrate his innocence.
Ms. Miller is dedicated to gender and diversity issues. She serves on the firm's Women's Leadership Council and as a Cuban American, is an active member of the firm's Diversity and Inclusion Attorney Network. She is also a member of the firm's Recruiting Committee. In recognition of Ms. Miller’s commitment to diversity, she was selected as the firm’s 2018 fellow for the Leadership Council for Legal Diversity.
- 2018 Fellow for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
Ms. Miller’s representative matters include:
- Representing a California utility in a high-stakes commercial dispute concerning power generation in San Diego.
- Advising private investment management firms with respect to wildfire litigation issues.
- Represented a California utility in a multi-billion dollar international arbitration and related regulatory matters arising from claims of defective design of steam generators installed in a nuclear power plant.
- Secured dismissal of a billion dollar breach of contract and unfair competition claim for a majority shareholder of a Peruvian utility.
- Secured favorable settlement for a utility in connection with a dispute with another utility regarding certain administrative and general accounting costs with respect to the operation of a nuclear power plant.
- Advised energy services holding company and its subsidiary public utility in the defense of 20 lawsuits alleging tort and inverse condemnation claims arising from property damage as a result of the 2008 Sesnon wildfire.
- Represented energy services holding company and subsidiary public utility in defending mass tort and inverse condemnation claims filed by thousands of plaintiffs in excess of $1 billion arising from 2007 San Diego wildfires.
- Secured favorable settlement of construction defect and fraud claims for diversified real estate company.
- Law360, January 1, 2019
- Speaker: “Legal Ramifications of Natural Disasters – Lessons Learned from Litigation and Emergency Response to Natural Gas Leaks and Wildfires,” ACI's 3rd Annual Women Leaders in Environmental & Energy Law, New Orleans, LA (2017)
- Moderator: “State Storage Initiatives, Challenges and Opportunities,” Energy Storage Week 2016, San Diego, January 26, 2016
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- J. Clifford Wallace American Inn of Court