- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2006, Northwestern University Law Review, Associate Editor; Dean's List; Kirkland & Ellis Diversity Fellowship Recipient, 2005
- B.A., Philosophy, Politics and Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 2002
- Extern to the Honorable Amy St. Eve, Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
Marisa Miller is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group and a member of the firm’s Energy, Infrastructure and Project Finance and Construction Litigation Teams. She is also the Co-Leader of the Wildfire Litigation Team.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Miller specializes in complex business litigation with a focus on energy, environmental and construction matters. She has experience handling matters in all stages of litigation, from pre-lawsuit strategy and advice to post-trial motions and appeals. Her practice also includes international and domestic arbitration, as well as regulatory matters.
Ms. Miller’s practice often involves high stakes business disputes and complex damages claims. She has litigated claims of fraud, mass tort, construction defect, property damage, inverse condemnation, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent transfer, employment disputes, misappropriation of trade secrets, bankruptcy, and professional malpractice. Ms. Miller also has trial experience, including representing clients in jury trials, bench trials and domestic and international arbitrations.
Ms. Miller also has significant pro bono experience, and has represented indigent defendants in criminal cases. She has successfully argued an appeal of a client's sentence before the Seventh Circuit and has drafted the first successful motion under the federal Innocence Protection Act, which secured her client access to DNA testing that could demonstrate his innocence.
Ms. Miller is dedicated to gender and diversity issues. She serves on the firm's Women's Leadership Council and as a Cuban American, is an active member of the firm's Diversity and Inclusion Attorney Network. She is also a member of the firm's Recruiting Committee. Ms. Miller was selected as the firm’s 2018 fellow for the Leadership Council for Legal Diversity’s Fellows Program.
Ms. Miller’s representative litigation matters include:
- Represent public utility in a multi-billion dollar international arbitration arising from claims of defective design of steam generators installed in a nuclear power plant.
- Secured favorable settlement for a utility in connection with a dispute with another utility regarding certain administrative and general accounting costs with respect to the operation of a nuclear power plant.
- Represented energy services holding company and its subsidiary public utility in the defense of 20 lawsuits alleging tort and inverse condemnation claims arising from property damage as a result of the 2008 Sesnon wildfire.
- Represented energy services holding company and subsidiary public utility in defending mass tort and inverse condemnation claims filed by thousands of plaintiffs in excess of $1 billion arising from 2007 San Diego wildfires.
- Secured favorable settlement of construction defect and fraud claims for diversified real estate company.
- Represented an international financial institution in securing a preliminary injunction to enforce non-competition agreements with senior managers who left the company and started a competitor.
- Represented an international chemical company in actions against a top executive and a member of the Board of Directors who attempted to sell the company in a massive leveraged buyout without authorization from management or the Board. After extensive discovery, the case settled when the executives admitted their misconduct.
- Member of a trial team that defeated all claims and obtained a complete defense judgment in a certified wage and hour employee class action for a national insurance company.
- Member of a trial team that represented an international accounting firm in the defense of a negligence action that resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Speaker: “Legal Ramifications of Natural Disasters – Lessons Learned from Litigation and Emergency Response to Natural Gas Leaks and Wildfires,” ACI's 3rd Annual Women Leaders in Environmental & Energy Law, New Orleans, LA (2017)
- Moderator: “State Storage Initiatives, Challenges and Opportunities,” Energy Storage Week 2016, San Diego, January 26, 2016
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- J. Clifford Wallace American Inn of Court