- J.D., Washington University School of Law, 2004
- B.A., Truman State University, 1998
Michael Roth is an associate in the Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Michael J. Roth concentrates his practice on commercial and residential real estate development throughout the United States, including construction and design contracts, lending and finance, and sales and acquisitions.
He has significant experience representing owners and contractors in negotiating design and construction contracts and has represented numerous local and institutional lenders and borrowers in connection with acquisition and construction financing. He has worked on acquisition financing and refinancing of several hotel developments, and has represented multiple lenders in financing for skilled nursing care facilities in several states. He has also worked extensively on the workout of troubled loans, for both mid-market and major financial institutions and special servicers.
Represent developer of wind farm projects in downstate Illinois with easement negotiation and title and survey review (Illinois).
Represent owner and operator of frac sand mines in acquisition, finance, leasing and disposition (Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Texas).
Represent large corporate clients in acquisition, leasing and disposition of corporate real estate assets (multistate).
Represent lender in its sale of portfolio of properties acquired via foreclosure (multistate).
Represent developers in acquisition and disposition of properties for adaptive reuse (multistate).
Represented hotel owners in connection with the acquisition, financing, operations and refinancing of hotel projects, including individual properties and hotel portfolio transactions.
Represented banks and other financial service institutions in connection with real estate acquisition and construction financings.
Represented owners in negotiating construction and design contracts, including residential developments, hotels, commercial and industrial developments.
Represented specialty construction contractors in negotiating design, engineering and construction contracts.
Represented banks in providing acquisition and operations financing for skilled nursing care facilities.
Real Estate, Land Use & Environmental Law Blog Posts
- "Mechanics Lien Subordination: Illinois Further Limits Construction Lenders’ Ability To Ensure Priority Against Mechanics Liens," September 18, 2014
- Contributing Author, Commercial Landlord-Tenant Practice, 2015 Edition, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February 25, 2015
- "Hotel Transactions in Illinois," Lawline, May 12, 2017
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Paul Bryan Cutak Scholarship Foundation
- Member, Board of Trustees, Holy Covenant United Methodist Church