Nioura F. Ghazni is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm’s San Francisco office and is a member of the firm’s Healthcare industry team.
Areas of Practice
Nioura represents for-profit and non-profit hospitals and health systems, and a diverse group of technology companies on strategic transactions. She has extensive experience in the areas of corporate and securities law, venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, restructurings and strategic affiliations. With more than a decade of business and transactional experience, Nioura brings a depth of diverse transactional knowledge to her counsel role and is sought after for her creativity in structuring transactions. A significant portion of Nioura's practice is focused in healthcare, digital health, and technology.
Nioura has led several successful acquisitions and restructuring transactions, including the restructuring of a health plan and affiliation with a major health system in the Northwest, the sale of a health plan in New York and the acquisition by a high-profile university affiliate of an online university. Nioura has also led a large number of venture capital and strategic financings for emerging growth companies, including the major strategic investment by a high profile music publishing company in a technology-based music company. Prior to private practice, Nioura was in-house counsel at an emerging digital health startup in Silicon Valley, where she provided corporate legal services and led the business development group.
Nioura's recent corporate experience includes representation of:
- A California health plan in connection with a strategic affiliation with a high profile health insurance plan to launch co-branded HMO, EPO and Medicare Advantage health plans offered by the insurer through the health plan’s alliance provider network.
- Many well-known public figures, artists, songwriters and creators in connection with their strategic investments in, and partnerships with, various emerging growth companies.
- A major health system in the Northwest in a restructuring transaction with a destressed health plan, which included debt financing.
- A Michelin-Star chef and Master Chef winner in connection with the build-out a prestigious restaurant in Northern California, which included a capital raise and the negotiation of various commercial agreements.
- A technology-based music company in its preferred stock strategic financing with a major high-profile music publishing company.
- Multiple talent agencies in their partnership formation and $1-$5 million financings.
- One of the largest health plans in the U.S. in connection with multiple strategic transactions and affiliations, including its affiliation with a high-profile medical academic center.
- A California health plan in its $20 million stock financing.
- A New York health plan in its sale to a Fortune 500 multi-state health care system.
- A fintech company in a $50 million Series C preferred stock financing.
- A private equity firm in connection with various investments in privately held companies in a variety of industries, including healthcare, medical devices and technology.
- A construction franchisee in its sale to a private equity firm.
- An applicant tracking software company in a merger with a large payroll provider.
- A staffing service business in its sale to a private equity firm.
- A digital creative agency in its sale to a global data warehousing company.
- A physical therapy practice in its sale of multiple practice offices.
- An artificial intelligence company in its conversion of $7.5 million convertible notes in $2 million Series Seed 1 preferred stock round and a $650,000 convertible promissory note round.
- A software development company in corporate matters since formation and in several private placements, including a $800,000 Series Seed preferred stock round and a $1 million convertible promissory note round.
- A takeaway food restaurant in the food and beverage industry in several private placements.
- A European startup in connection with its restructuring and offering of preferred stock to U.S. Investors.
- Woman of Influence: Health Care, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2023
- Lawyers on the Fast Track (under 40), The Recorder, 2022
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2017-2021
- Hugh G. Major Endowed Women's Law Scholarship, 2009-2011
- Rose Elizabeth Bird Award, 2010-2011
- Paul S. Jordan Award, 2010-2011
- Managed Healthcare Executive, 05.2023
- Healthcare Finance, 01.27.2023
- Northern California Ambassador, California Minority Counsel Program
- Member (former Northern California President and National Board Director), Iranian American Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
J.D., Golden Gate University School of Law, 2011
M.B.A., Golden Gate University Ageno School of Business, 2011
B.A., University of Waterloo, 2008