- J.D., University of Southern California, 1982
- M.Ed., Smith College, 1973
- B.A., Trinity College, 1970, cum laude
Nancy Scull is a partner and the firmwide Co-Practice Group Leader for the Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Scull's focus is on the representation of commercial, industrial, retail and residential developers in all real property transactions. She advises lenders, borrowers, and guarantors on loan documentation, workout and loan enforcement issues. Ms. Scull has developed a special expertise in mixed use projects, condominium projects and Bureau of Real Estate regulatory matters. She represents numerous publicly held developers, urban high-rise and mixed-use developers, and developers of master planned communities in developing and processing projects and implementing programs to minimize liability. Ms. Scull has worked with many master developers of major communities and urban town centers; both within and outside of California, advising them with the planning, development and long-term governance of their communities and the sale of parcels for merchant builders. She also represents national, commercial, industrial and retail developers with high-rise office, commercial and industrial projects and retail shopping centers throughout the state of California and has created governing documents for major retail centers in Northern and Southern California.
- Top Women Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2016, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rating
- Real Estate and Construction, Legal 500, 2015, 2017
- Selected as one of the top 100 California Women Attorneys for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 by the Daily Journal
- Top Development Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2014
- Selected as one of the top 30 Real Estate Attorneys in California for 2012 and 2013 by the Daily Journal
- Chambers USA Leading Lawyer, California Real Estate, 2012, 2014-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America - First Year Listed: 1995 - Most Recent Listing: 2017 (Real Estate Law)
- Real Estate Forum's "Woman of Influence", selected in 2012 and 2013
- Super Lawyers: Corporate Counsel - Most Recent Listing: 2010 (Real Estate)
- Super Lawyers: Business Edition - 2011 (Real Estate)
- San Diego Super Lawyers - Most Recent Listing: 2015, 2016, 2017 (Real Estate)
- Top 50 San Diego Super Lawyers - Most Recent Listing: 2009
- Top 25 Women San Diego Super Lawyers - Most Recent Listing: 2009
- Selected as one of the 500 lawyers in America as "New Stars" for 2006 by Lawdragon
- Selected as one of the "Top San Diego County Attorneys" for 2005-2010 by The Daily Transcript
- Selected as one of the "Women of Influence" for 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2009 by Real Estate Southern California
- San Diego Magazine - Top Lawyers (Real Estate) 2014
Civita - Selected to advise the master developer on the governance and structuring for the “Civita” master planned community in San Diego. Civita which involves more than 4,000 residences and 900,000 square feet of retail, commercial, hospitality, civic and other uses.
Diridon Mixed Use Project in San Jose - Lead counsel in representing a joint venture in the acquisition and development of the Diridon project, in the City of San Jose which will be the gateway project for the expansion of the City of San Jose's master development plan.
Emeryville Public Market - Engaged by the developer of the Emeryville Public Market in Emeryville, California to create and document the governance for the redevelopment of the Emeryville Public Market.
L.A. Live - Lead counsel in establishing the governance structure for The Hotel and Residences at L.A. Live, a high-rise story mixed-use building consisting of a J.W. Marriott, a Ritz Carlton, and 224 luxury residential condominiums located within the dynamic and evolving L.A. Live entertainment district in downtown Los Angeles.
MainStreetNB - Selected by the developer of a town center in New Jersey to create the governance structure using the techniques and innovative concepts developed for town centers and urban in-fill projects in California.
Millenia - Selected to create the governance for a new urban mixed-use town center in Chula Vista, California with more than 2,500 residences together with public, retail and commercial uses.
One Hundred Mill - Represents the Developer of a mixed use project located in the City of Tempe, Arizona which involves the first vertical subdivision of a mixed use project which will include a Hotel, office building, retail uses and an underground parking garage.
Runway Mixed Use Project in Playa Vista, Los Angeles - Represented developer of the mixed-use retail, office, and residential project within Playa Vista, California known as Runway at Playa Vista.
Village at Totem Lake - Advises developer of a mixed use residential and retail center located in Kirkland, Washington to develop the entire governance structure for this redevelopment of a major center within the Kirkland, Washington area.
- Beware: "Broken" Subdivision Pitfalls Will Linger for Years to Come: Top Ten Questions You Need to AskOctober 12, 2010
- Western Real Estate Business, September 2010
- Los Angeles Lawyer, January 2010
- "Broken" Condominium Projects: How to Manage Their Acquisition and Develop a Viable Investment or Exit StrategyCalifornia Real Property Journal, November 3, 2009
- Homeowners Must Prove Builder's Noncompliance With Disclosure Obligations Under SB800 in Order to Defeat Right to RepairAugust 19, 2009
- May 1, 2009
- The Odd Couple: Learning to Live Together in a Mixed-Use WorldICSC Lease Conference Materials
- Minimizing Liability: A Guide to Creating Your Liability Avoidance ProgramMay 26, 2006
- Insurance and Damage and Destruction Provisions for Condominiums and Planned DevelopmentsCalifornia Real Property Journal, Spring 1993
- Top Women LawyersDaily Journal, April 20, 2016
- Top Women Lawyers- Nancy ScullDaily Journal, May 13, 2015
- Daily Journal, May 7, 2014
- Law360, April 7, 2014
- Daily Journal, March 6, 2012
- Presenter, "The Fair Housing Act: An Overview to Invitation Homes, Dallas, TX, June 25, 2013
- Instructor, "Mixed-Use Developments: Lessons Learned From Recent Deals: Navigating Zoning, Financing, Community Buy-In, and Other Challenges," Live Webinar, November 7, 2012
- Presenter, "The Pinnacle Decision is Bigger Than Arbitration - What Does Pinnacle Mean for You?" Live Webinar, August 21, 2012
- Panelist, Women in Real Estate Conference, presented by the Burnham Moores Center for Real Estate, San Diego, CA, November 9, 2011
- Panelist, "Condos & Multifamily: Working Out Rentals and For-Sale Housing," Bank & Financial Institution Special Asset Executive Conference on Real Estate Workouts, presented by Information Management Network (IMN), Los Angeles, CA, September 26, 2011
- Speaker, "What to Develop and Where to Develop," PCBC 2011, San Francisco, June 23, 2011
- Panelist, "Got Sunshine on a Cloudy Day: Navigating the Legal Maze of Implementing Solar Programs in Residential Communities," Luce Forward Residential Development Roundtable, San Diego - May 5, 2011, San Francisco - March 3, 2011
- Moderator, "New Home Financing: Understanding FNMA, FHA & VA Requirements," Luce Forward Seminar, San Diego - January 27, 2011, Los Angeles - March 2, 2011, San Francisco - March 3, 2011
- Co-presenter, "'Broken' Common Interest Development Transactions: Understanding the Challenges and Managing the Risks," Webinar, May 12 2010
- Panelist, "Acquiring and Disposing of Broken Condominium Projects: What You Need to Know," The State Bar of California Real Property Law Section 29th Annual Retreat, Napa, CA, May 1, 2010
- Panelist, "Acquiring and Disposing of Broken Condominium Projects: What You Need to Know," Luce Forward Seminar, Newport Beach - July 30, 2009, San Francisco - September 23, 2009, Los Angeles - September 30, 2009
- Panelist, "Bulk Buying Opportunities: Single Family Houses & Condo Units," Information Management Network's 2nd Western Symposium on Distressed Residential & Multifamily Real Estate, Los Angeles, September 15-16, 2009
- Panelist, "The Benefits of Solar for Residential Developers," Luce Forward Seminar, June 9, 2009
- Co-Presenter, "Broken Condominium Projects: Understanding The Challenges and Managing The Risks," Luce Forward Seminar, May 12, 2009
- Co-Moderator and Co-Presenter, "Acquiring Distressed Land: Evaluating and Preserving Entitlements; Valuing Assets; Due Diligence; Structuring Financial Terms," CLE International Conference, Los Angeles, January 22-23, 2009
- Speaker, "Mixed-Use Development from the Ground Up: Using Reciprocal Easements, Cost Sharing Agreements and CC&Rs to Ensure a Successful Project," CLE International Conference, Las Vegas, December 3, 2008
- Co-Presenter, "Let’s Mix It Up: What You Need to Know to Understand and Evaluate Mixed Use Projects," League of California Cities Conference, September 2008
- Program Co-Chair, "Mixed-Use Development from the Ground Up," CLE International Conference, August 2008
- "The New World of Mixed-Use Projects: What You Need to Know to Develop, Design and Document Your Mixed Use Buildings," Pacific Coast Builders Conference, June 2008
- Moderator, "Mixed-Use Development," IncreMentalAdvantage Seminar: "Commercial Real Estate Due Diligence," March 25, 2008
- Moderator, "Legal and Sales Strategies for Urban Condos in Today’s Market," BIA Urban Council, March 5, 2008
- "Residential Mixed-Use in California: Tip-Toeing Through the Department of Real Estate’s Regulatory and Budget Process," CLE International Conference, January 2008
- "From the Ground Up: Lessons Learned in Developing and Managing Mixed-Use Vertical Projects," CLE International Conference, January 2008
- Program Co-Chair, "Mixed-use Development: From Breaking Ground to Cutting Ribbon," CLE International Conference, January 2008
- "Mixed Use Projects: The Odd Couple: Learning to Live Together in a Mixed Use World," International Conference of Shopping Centers Legal Conference, January 2008
- "Making a Mixed-Use Building Work," Law Seminars International Presentation: Development Agreements, Easements and CCRs, December 5, 2007
- "Buying or Leasing in a Mixed-Use Project: What You Need to Know," Commercial Lease Conference, November 2007
- "Suburban to Urban: Understanding the Challenges," Pacific Coast Builders Conference, June 21, 2006
- Panelist, "1st Annual Hospitality Law Conference," Topic: "Condo Hotels: The Product and the Plumbing," February 2, 2006
- "A Condominium Is Still A Condominium: Using Condo Techniques to Retain Control and Avoid Liability," February 2006
- Panelist, "Have Condos Gone Crazy?" RealShare Conference Series: "RealShare San Diego Looks at Hot Condo, Investment Sales, TIC and Debt & Equity Markets," October 27, 2005
- Real Property Section of the State Bar of CA, "Inside Counsel’s View of Outside Counsel: The Real Story," April 2005
- "Breakfast of Champions," Forum presented by the Building Industry Association of San Diego, March 15, 2005
- Presentation to Centex Homes, "High-Rise and Mixed-Use Projects, Lessons Learned – Lessons Shared," February 2005
- "Guide to Reducing Litigation Risk," Pacific Coast Builders Conference, 2004
- "Bound by the DRE; The Business of Subdivision Sales," Real Property Section of the State Bar of California Annual Retreat, 2004
- "Bound by Your Imagination; Advanced Topics in Subdivision Sales," Real Property Section of the State Bar of California Annual Retreat, 2004
- Real Property Section of the State Bar of CA: Bound by the DRE, "The Basics of Subdivision Sales," April 2004
- Presentation to KB Home, "San Diego Division: Developing and Processing Condominiums and Single Family Projects Through the Department of Real Estate," November 2003
- Presentation in Las Vegas, "HOA’s Start to Finish," June 2003