- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2006
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2003
Namal Tantula is an associate in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Namal’s practice involves representing employers in all aspects of labor and employment counseling and litigation, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, wrongful termination, employment contracts, ADA cases, and contract disputes.
- Recipient of the Sri Lanka Foundation’s “Outstanding Performance by a Young Professional Award” (2014)
- On behalf of a large West Coast limousine company, won a motion to compel arbitration and decertify a class, reducing client's potential damages significantly from approximately $5 million to $2,000, which resulted in the published opinion Iskanian v. CLS Transportation (2014) 59 Cal. 4th 348
- Successfully defeated certification of a class of 150,000 potential plaintiffs, saving the client over $600 million in damages
- Gained a significant victory by defeating class certification, and saving millions in damages, on behalf of a large beverage company
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a national transportation company in an age discrimination suit which resulted in the published opinion Reeves v. MV Transportation, Inc. (2010) 186 Cal.App.4th 666
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national telecommunications company sued by a former employee claiming race discrimination and wrongful termination
- Settled a case favorably on behalf of one of the nation’s largest pharmaceutical companies in a wage and hour and sexual orientation discrimination action
- Settled a case favorably on behalf of a national manufacturer in which a former employee claimed age discrimination and wrongful termination after a department layoff
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national corporation accused of disability discrimination and harassment
- “Wheelchair Access: Court Struggles With Prerequisite For Class Actions,” Daily Journal, March 22, 2011
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- "Congress Considers Limiting Pre-dispute Arbitration Agreements in the Employment Context," March 17, 2017
- California High Court To Mull Fate Of Employment Class ActionsLaw360, April 2, 2014
- California Cases To Watch In 2014Law360, January 1, 2014
- Cases May Give California High Court Clear Shot At Employer ArbitrationLaw360, August 17, 2012
- As Concepcion Interpretations Roll On, A Win For California EmployersThomson Reuters News & Insight, June 8, 2012
- California Ruling Shakes Up Employment Class Action Waiver LandscapeLaw360, June 5, 2012
- “New Policies And Practices,” Futureland Montessori School Inc., 2013
- “Legal Update And Best Practices Potpourri,” Professionals In Human Resources, 2011
- Board Member, Professionals in Human Resources
- Member, South Asian Bar Association
- Board Member, Futureland Montessori School Inc.
- Board Member, Montessori Academy of North Hollywood, Inc.