- The University of Oxford and the George Washington University, Joint Programme in International Human Rights Law, 2001
- J.D., George Washington University, 2004, Notes Editor, American Intellectual Property Law Association Quarterly Journal
- M.A., George Washington University (Elliott School of International Affairs), 2004
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Nicholas Van Brunt is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group, based primarily in the firm’s Century City office and is the Co-Team Leader of the firm's Private Wealth Services Team.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Van Brunt focuses his practice on resolving disputes over trusts, estates, conservatorships, and other fiduciary matters. A respected member of the Los Angeles legal community, he is known as a pragmatic and effective advocate who seeks to achieve favorable results for his clients through a combination of skillful negotiation, strategic counsel and deft trial work. As such, Mr. Van Brunt has developed an impressive roster of clients who value his discretion, experience and accessible approach to client relations. Whether in the courtroom or at mediation, it is his ability both to advocate passionately and effectively for his clients and to counsel clients compassionately but credibly that has helped him consistently achieve favorable outcomes on their behalves.
As an experienced trusts and estates litigator with a strong background in general business litigation, Mr. Van Brunt has represented corporations, non-profit organizations and individuals in matters large and small, through mediation, settlement negotiation and, when necessary, trial preparation and execution. His typical client matters include will and trust contests, breach of fiduciary duty cases, trustee accounting matters, conservatorship proceedings, and cases involving the intersection between probate law and other legal issues. Mr. Van Brunt also has substantial general business litigation experience, including disputes arising in labor and employment, intellectual property, securities, real estate, professional responsibility matters, judgment collection, bankruptcy matters, and general breach of contract and tort actions.
Mr. Van Brunt is actively engaged in pro bono matters on behalf of both individuals and non-profit organizations and also serves as a Probate Settlement Officer with the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s Pro Bono Probate Settlement Program, offered through the San Fernando Valley Bar Association.
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Trust and Estates Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward/White, Inc. (2015-2018)
- Named “Super Lawyer” in Estate and Trust Litigation, Super Lawyers, 2015-2017
- Named “Rising Star” in Estate and Trust Litigation, Super Lawyers, 2013-2014
A few of Mr. Van Brunt’s representative matters include the following:
- Successfully obtained conservatorship over person and estate of client’s parent in connection with estate valued in excess of $30,000,000, where allegations of elder abuse and undue influence necessitated protection of the client’s parent.
- Successfully defended appeal of $40 million judgment against client’s sibling who had attempted to misappropriate assets from his parents’ trust and estate for himself and then won over $5 million in additional judgments against same sibling in multiple subsequent trials.
- Successfully defended directors of non-profit foundation that provides millions of dollars to various charitable beneficiaries in binding arbitration.
- Successfully defeated contest to a will before it even got out of the starting gate.
- Member of team that successfully represented current owner of National Basketball Association franchise in high-profile litigation concerning the sale of that team.
- Obtained numerous favorable settlements for individual trustees, individual beneficiaries, corporate trustees and entities, and nonprofit organizations, both through mediation and face-to-face negotiation.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Mr. Van Brunt was a partner of Loeb & Loeb, LLP, in the Trust and Estate Litigation group. Mr. Van Brunt began his legal career as an associate in the litigation department of White & Case LLP’s Los Angeles office.
- "On Aging and Incapacity: Planning for a Complicated and Emotional Journey"– Family Office Exchange Webinar, October 11, 2017
- "Annual Trusts, Probate and Conservatorship Litigation Update" – Beverly Hills Bar Association, May 16, 2017
- "Think Smart: Protecting and Serving the Client in a Digital World" – Moderator, Orange County Bar Association Trust & Estates Section MCLE, October 10, 2016
- "Check Your Privilege: Issues of Privilege and Confidentiality in Trust and Estate Matters" – San Fernando Valley Bar Association Probate Section, September 13, 2016
- "Crossover Issues in Trust & Estate Law and Family Law" – Orange County Bar Association Trust & Estates Section MCLE, October 6, 2015
- "The 2014 Aviva K. Bobb PVP Attorney Advanced Training Program"– Los Angeles County Bar Association Trust and Estate Section, November 2014
- "Is This Line Secure? Issues of Privilege and Confidentiality in Trust and Estate Matters"– 39th Annual USC Trust and Estate Conference, November 2013
- "Making Your Case: Trial Advocacy in Probate Court"– Los Angeles County Bar Association Trust and Estate Section, April 2013
- "Evidence and Trial Skills Program for Trusts and Estates Attorneys"– Los Angeles County Bar Association Trust and Estate Section, March 2013
- "Ethical Challenges in Estate Planning and Administration"– 2012 Professional Advisor Speaker Series, Jewish Community Foundation of Los Angeles, October 2012