- J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall), 1985
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court
Peter Carson is a partner in the Finance & Bankruptcy Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Peter's practice is focused on representing U.S. and foreign banks, commercial finance lenders, debt funds, and other institutional lenders. Peter represents these clients in all aspects of complex secured and unsecured debt financings, including acquisition, senior syndicated, asset-based, mezzanine, second lien, bridge, debtor-in possession, credit enhancement, private placement, leveraged lease and other financings, recapitalizations, and restructurings across a range of industries, such as healthcare, technology, retail, transportation and distribution, media and telecommunications, ski resorts, sport franchises, food and beverage, agriculture, and forest products.
In addition, Peter devotes a substantial portion of his practice to representing buyers, sellers and private equity deal sponsors in various types of merger and acquisition transactions (including mergers involving nonprofits) and to advising institutional lenders, private equity and company clients on Uniform Commercial Code and other commercial law issues.
- Leading Lawyer in Banking and Finance (California), Chambers USA, 2007-2019; "Peter Carson is well known for his formidable finance practice, which is routinely employed by domestic and international lenders in a series of transactions."
- Northern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2005-2019
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, 2015, 2017, 2018
- Leading Lawyer in Banking Law and Structured Finance Law, Best Lawyers, 2007-2020
- Frequent speaker on panels and programs relating to topics of leveraged finance and commercial law for the American Bar Association, ALI-ABA, and the California Bar Association
- Panelist, 2018 Americas Annual Survey of Letter of Credit Law & Practice conference in Charlotte, North Carolina, March 15-16, 2018
- Elected Member, American Law Institute
- Past President and Member of Board of Regents, American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers
- Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Opinions Committee of the California Lawyers Association
- Member and Past Chair, Board of Trustees, Earthjustice
- Past Chair, Secured Transactions Subcommittee of the Uniform Commercial Code Committee of the Business Law Section, American BAr Association
- Past Chair, Letter of Credit Subcommittee of the Uniform Commercial Code Committee of the Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Past Chair, Uniform Commercial Code Committee; Past member, Executive Committee of the Business Law Section, State Bar of California
- Past Co-Chair, California Legal Services Trust Fund (IOLTA) Commission
- Past Member, Standing Committee on Pro Bono and Public Service, American Bar Association; Past Chair Pro Bono Committee of the Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, East Bay Community Law Center
- Past member, Board of Directors, California Bar Foundation, Bar Association of San Francisco Foundation; Bay Area Legal Aid; China U.S. Energy Efficiency Alliance; British American Business Counsel of the Bay Area; Mid-Peninsula Media Center