- J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall), 1985
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court
Peter Carson is a partner in the Finance & Bankruptcy Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Carson's practice is focused on representing U.S. and foreign banks, commercial finance lenders, debt funds, and other institutional lenders. Peter represents these clients in all aspects of complex secured and unsecured debt financings, including acquisition, senior syndicated, asset-based, mezzanine, second lien, bridge, debtor-in possession, credit enhancement, private placement, leveraged lease and other financings, recapitalizations, and restructurings across a range of industries, such as healthcare, technology, retail, transportation and distribution, media and telecommunications, ski resorts, sport franchises, food and beverage, agriculture, and forest products.
In addition, Peter devotes a substantial portion of his practice to representing buyers, sellers and private equity deal sponsors in various types of merger and acquisition transactions (including mergers involving nonprofits) and to advising institutional lenders, private equity and company clients on Uniform Commercial Code and other commercial law issues.
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, 2015
- Leading lawyer in Banking Law and Structured Finance Law, Best Lawyers, 2007-2017
- Leading lawyer in Banking and Finance (California), Chambers USA, 2007-2016
- Northern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2005-2016
- Elected Member, American Law Institute
- President and Member of Board of Regents, American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Co-Chair, Letter of Credit Subcommittee of the Uniform Commercial Code Committee of the Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Opinions Committee of the Business Law Section, State Bar of California
- Chair Emeritus, Board of Trustees, Earthjustice
- Past Chair, Secured Transactions Subcommittee of the Uniform Commercial Code Committee of the Business Law Section
- Past Chair, Uniform Commercial Code Committee; Past member, Executive Committee of the Business Law Section, State Bar of California
- Past Co-Chair, California Legal Services Trust Fund (IOLTA) Commission
- Past Member, Standing Committee on Pro Bono and Public Service, American Bar Association; Past Chair Pro Bono Committee of the Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, East Bay Community Law Center
- Past member, Board of Directors, California Bar Foundation, Bar Association of San Francisco Foundation; Bay Area Legal Aid; China U.S. Energy Efficiency Alliance; British American Business Counsel of the Bay Area; Mid-Peninsula Media Center