Helene Gogadze is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group and a member of the firm's International Arbitration Team in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
Ms. Gogadze's practice focuses on international arbitration and commercial litigation. Her experience includes advising and representing clients in commercial and investment arbitration disputes, including disputes involving state governments and state-owned entitles, and actions before national courts in relation to arbitration proceedings.
Ms. Gogadze has represented clients in numerous international arbitration matters, including in the oil and gas industry, and in disputes involving sovereign states and state entities. Some of her recent representations include:
- A subsidiary of Eni S.p.A. in ICDR arbitration relating to the termination of a long-term contract for LNG importation and regasification services at a facility in the port of Pascagoula.
- Advising a large French company in connection with a potential ICSID claim against the Government of an African country under the Bilateral Investment Treaty over the company's oil exploration activities.
- A Large Energy Company on a wide range of issues and disputes in the areas of feed gas supply, LNG quality, force majeure, shipping, engineering and construction, price reviews and other commercial matters.
- Advising a large French company on force majeure and emergency issues in relation to oil production operations in Yemen.
- Advising a large French company in an ICC arbitration in Geneva against a South American company in a dispute over ownership of an ICSID claim against the government of a country in South America.
- Representing Total E&P Uganda B.V in ICSID arbitration proceedings against the Government of Uganda under the Netherlands-Uganda Bilateral Investment Treaty and the contract.
- Advising a large company in connection with a dispute regarding the provision of technical engineering and construction services and force majeure issues.
- Representing Thales Alenia Space France in an ICDR arbitration in New York brought by Globalstar lnc., a publicly traded company that operates a constellation of satellites.
Ms. Gogadze also serves as an arbitrator. She is a member of American Arbitration Association roster of arbitrators, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution roster of arbitrators, and the Georgian International Arbitration Centre roster of arbitrators.
Ms. Gogadze is a lecturer at the International Law Institute, where she regularly teaches courses and conducts trainings on international investment and commercial arbitration as part of various programs for foreign government officials, investors and lawyers. She also speaks at international arbitration conferences and regularly publishes articles on a variety of international investment and commercial arbitration issues. Ms. Gogadze was Adjunct Professor of Law at the Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, where she has taught international arbitration.
Ms. Gogadze received her J.D., summa cum laude (with 1st ranking in the class), from the Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law in 2009, her M.A. from Miami University, Oxford, Ohio in 2003 and her B.A. and Law Diploma from Iv. Javakhishvili State University, Tbilisi, Georgia in 2001. She is fluent in Georgian.
Ms. Gogadze is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and New York.
Washington, D.C. Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2016-2018