Paul Kaufman is a partner of the Real Estate, Energy, Land Use & Environmental Practice Group in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) office.
Areas of Practice
Paul has been an energy lawyer since 1984. Over a career of almost 30 years, he has negotiated all manner of project contracts, including power purchase agreements, hedges, interconnection and transmission agreements and equipment procurement and construction contracts. He represents parties in M&A transactions involving development and operating wind, solar, storage and other renewable projects. He works with renewable energy technologies, including on large wind, solar and biomass projects, and on conventional power plants using fossil fuels, as well as gas storage projects. In addition, he negotiates joint ventures, development agreements and precedent agreements for renewable energy project investors and developers and represented lenders in the review and analysis of project agreements for renewable generation projects in Central America, the U.S. and the Caribbean.
Paul returned to private practice in 2012 after serving as Executive Vice President (EVP) of Transactions with enXco, Inc., now EDF Renewable Energy. At enXco, Paul was responsible for the company’s commercial transactions, implementation of its projects and risk analytics. As EVP, he was involved in the marketing of output from wind and solar projects, the sale of those projects in “turn-key” transactions and the acquisition of projects for renewable technologies. As enXco’s General Counsel, he was responsible for all legal and regulatory affairs of company and communications on legal matters with its French parent company. He managed the legal aspects of the regulatory matters affecting the company as well as, project development, commercial transactions, corporate governance, corporate structure and mergers and acquisitions. Paul was the lead lawyer on large complex transactions. As both EVP and General Counsel, Paul participated in board and other management meetings involving risk review, strategic direction, litigation strategy, transaction origination and transaction approvals.
Prior to joining enXco, Paul was General Counsel for Iberdrola Renewables, the North American renewable energy subsidiary of Iberdrola. At Iberdrola (which was formerly known as PPM Energy, Inc.), his responsibilities were similar to those undertaken at enXco. However, in addition to its wind generation business, Iberdrola also operated gas storage and power and gas trading businesses.
Paul is a frequent speaker on energy topics, focusing on the acquisition of operating renewable energy projects. He is a member of the California and Oregon bars.
Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2023-2024
Leading Lawyer - Renewables & Alternative Energy, Chambers Global, 2022-2023
Leading Lawyer - Renewables & Alternative Energy, Chambers USA, 2021-2023
Energy - Renewable/alternative, Legal 500, 2016, 2019, 2021-2022
Energy Transactions - Conventional Power, Legal 500, 2016
- Bird & Bird, 11.21.2023
Energy Law Blog Posts
- "Beyond Borders: Global Corporate PPA Outlook," November 28, 2023
- "Gulf of Mexico Offshore Auction Falls Short of Expectations," August 30, 2023
- "California’s First Offshore Wind Auction Finalized – Key Takeaways," December 8, 2022
- "Bid Credits Intended to Stimulate Local Coordination and Development in Upcoming California Lease Auction Add New Wrinkle to Bid Strategies," October 31, 2022
- "Corporate Offtake Agreements are a Driving Force Behind the Shift Toward Renewable Energy in the United States," July 7, 2021
- "Six Key Things to be Aware of in the Development of Floating Offshore Wind in California," May 27, 2021
- "Six Key Items to be Aware of Today Concerning FERC Carbon Pricing Policy," February 2, 2021
- "NYISO Battery Storage Rules," October 14, 2020
- "CPUC Issues Order Promoting the Development and Interconnection of Microgrids," June 22, 2020
- "CPUC Seeks Comment on Proposed Incentive Framework for Distributed Energy Resources," April 7, 2016
- "State Regulators Consider Changes to Net Metering Programs with Differing Results," February 1, 2016
- "State-Level Energy Storage Developments," November 11, 2015
Real Estate, Land Use & Environmental Blog Posts
- "How Prepared Are You for the Surge in California’s Green Hydrogen Economy?," January 4, 2023
- Law360, 09.04.2015
- Panelist, "Structuring Hybrid Renewable Offtake Agreements: Key Provisions, Risks and Limitations, Financing, Best Practices" Strafford Webinar, November 16, 2022