- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1988
- B.A., Boston University, 1985, magna cum laude
- New York
Peter Koffler is a partner the firm's New York Office and is Leader of the New York Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Koffler has a broad-based transactional real estate practice, and works on complex and high-profile matters in New York City and nationally. With over 30 years of experience, Mr. Koffler focuses his practice on all areas of sophisticated commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions, sales, leasing, sale/leaseback transactions, construction/development, and financing. Asset classes regularly include commercial/office, multifamily, retail, hospitality, industrial, and mixed use.
His clients include domestic and foreign commercial developers, owners, and operators, as well as several “non-real estate” companies with significant real estate holdings, such as insurance companies, commercial and private banks, mining companies, and pension funds.
Mr. Koffler works extensively with the structuring and negotiation of complex multi-tier joint ventures, representing the developer/operator partner and the capital partner and/or preferred equity holders.
- New York Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2008-2018
- The Legal 500, Real Estate, 2013-2018
- AV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Commercial/Office – acquisitions, dispositions, and recapitalizations of large, commercial office buildings, including the representation of
- Health insurer in connection with the sale of a headquarters building in Manhattan for an excess of $300 million, including a short-term leaseback component.
- Commercial bank in the sale of its Manhattan headquarters building for redevelopment, including a temporary leaseback component.
- International auction house in connection with the approximately $370 million acquisition of its Manhattan headquarters building.
- Family-owned enterprise in the sale of midtown Manhattan office tower, valued in excess of $170 million.
Multifamily – representation of some of New York's largest multifamily owners in the acquisition/disposition of hundreds of multifamily retail buildings in New York City, consisting of thousands of rent-regulated and market units, including
- Owner/operator in acquisition of 12-building portfolio located in Manhattan and the Bronx.
- Owner/operator in acquisition of 11-building portfolio located in Brooklyn.
- Owner/operator in acquisition of 9-building portfolio located in Brooklyn.
- Purchaser in acquisition of 5-building portfolio located in the Bronx.
- Private equity fund in connection with a joint venture platform investment in numerous multifamily properties in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Retail and Hospitality – acquisitions and sale of hotel and related hospitality properties nationwide, as well as purchase and sales of all type of stand-alone, strip center, and large center retail spaces, including representation of
- Family owners in connection with the sale of the historic Hotel Elysée in New York City.
- Canadian hotel owner/operator in the acquisition and disposition of over a dozen hotels throughout the United States.
- National hotel chain in the sale of a midtown Manhattan hotel property.
- Purchaser in connection with the $1 billion-plus acquisition of a national retail chain, consisting of 51 separate store locations, comprising both owned and leased facilities.
- Premium national steakhouse chain in a sale-leaseback transaction involving the relocation and development of a Las Vegas location.
Industrial, Other – assemblages, purchases, sales, and recapitalizations of large-scale sites nationwide, including representation of
- Developer in connection with the assemblage and disposition of 37+-acre assemblage site in Maspeth, NY in a series of multiple transactions, with a significant environmental component.
- Seller in connection with the disposition of 100+-acre warehouse site in Carteret, NJ, with a significant environmental component.
- Property owner in $137 million financing facility for development of two biodiesel production facilities in Texas.
- Primary equity investor in the structuring and execution of its $1 billion-plus joint venture transaction relating to the acquisition and development of a large-scale mixed-use project located in central Washington, DC.
- Primary equity investor in its joint venture transaction relating to the acquisition and development of a large-scale Class A commercial, retail, and office project in lower Manhattan.