- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2007
- B.A., Occidental College, 2004, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- California state courts
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal
Paul Seeley is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the Los Angeles office of Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP.
Areas of Practice
Paul has experience in a broad range of business litigation matters, including consumer class actions, products liability, insurance litigation, and real estate disputes. He has represented clients accused of violating California’s consumer protection statutes, including the Unfair Competition Law, False Advertising Law, and the Consumer Legal Remedies Act; clients involved in shareholder disputes; clients accused of defamation, and clients involved in commercial contract disputes. He was part of the trial team that secured a judgment of over $50 million on behalf of a client who was the victim of a workers’ compensation insurance fraud scheme designed to avoid paying the proper premium owed.
Paul's primary area of focus is consumer class actions. He has worked on all aspects of consumer class actions, including opposing motions for class certification, and has written extensively about class action litigation in the food and beverage industry.
Paul’s experience covers all aspects of litigation, from filing or responding to complaints, through pre-trial remedies (including Anti-SLAPP motions, injunctions or receiverships), discovery, summary judgment, trial, appeal, and judgment enforcement (including spearheading the enforcement of a $12 million judgment that brought the parties to the negotiating table for fear of losing their business).
Paul is active in the Firm’s pro bono activities, particularly in the adoptions of children in California’s foster care system. In recognition of his work, the Firm named Paul the Bob Gerber Pro Bono Attorney of the Year for 2012.
- Practical Law, February 2016
- Food & Drink Magazine, Summer 2014
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, January 6, 2014
Class Action Defense Strategy Blog Posts
- "Plaintiffs’ Full Refund Theory of Restitution Under California’s Unfair Competition Law Goes Up in Smoke in Latest Tobacco II Opinion," December 1, 2015
- "Recent Ninth Circuit Decisions in False Advertising Consumer Class Action Cases May Prevent Preemption and Relegate the Primary Jurisdiction Doctrine to Second-Class Status." April 28, 2015
- "Court Finds that Class Action Plaintiffs’ False Advertising Claims are Stripped Bayer Based on Federal Preemption," March 17, 2015
- "Ascertainability Saps Plaintiffs’ Energy in Dietary Supplement Class Action," March 4, 2015
- "Tea Manufacturer Defeats Damages – Seeking Class Action Plaintiff in an Opinion Steeped in Comcast," April 29, 2014
- "J.M. Smucker Company Gets Out of a Jam in Food Labelling Case," April 18, 2014
- "A (POM) Wonderful Result For Consumer Class Action Defendants," March 26, 2014
- "Comity and Commonality: A Tale of Two Identical Class Actions Brought By Forum-Shopping Plaintiffs’ Counsel," February 19, 2014
- "I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For…Ascertainability?" January 10, 2014
- "Enforcing Class Action Waivers: A 'Major Change In California Law'," October 12, 2012
- "The Ninth Circuit Applies the Brakes to Runaway Nationwide Class Actions," January 27, 2012