- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 2016, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.S./B.A., University of Arkansas, 2008, cum laude, Honors Program
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Elizabeth Lang-Miers, Court of Appeals for the Fifth District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Robert Hough is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm’s Dallas office.
Areas of Practice
Robert represents clients in litigation to secure, enforce, and leverage their valuable intellectual property rights. He counsels clients in matters related to copyright, trademark, trade dress, trade secret, advertising, publicity, and entertainment law. He regularly leads clients through trademark enforcement proceedings under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), as well as proceedings under various other international dispute resolution policies. In addition to Robert’s extensive intellectual property enforcement and licensing practice, Robert is skilled in trademark prosecution and portfolio management, including guiding clients through actions before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Robert has significant experience in matters unique to the music and entertainment industry. His entertainment practice concentrates on legal issues in music, television, and film, particularly those involving co-branding, integration and product placement agreements, talent engagement, right of publicity, and original content production and licensing. Robert draws on his years of experience in the music business to provide counsel to clients in all areas of the industry.
Robert also brings over six years of experience in the advertising industry to his advertising law practice, having led national brand activation initiatives on the agency side in the print, digital, social, and mobile spaces. His advertising practice focuses on influencer campaigns, endorsements and sponsorships, promotional licensing, social media activations, and risk management in the administration of sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions. Robert also counsels brands and marketing agencies on state and federal regulatory compliance issues related to claim substantiation and consumer protection, including regulation under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing (CAN-SPAM) Act. He provides on-demand service as primary, overflow, and escalation counsel for compliance review of national advertising content across the various platforms.
- Negotiate multi-year NBA jersey patch sponsorship for digital marketplace service provider
- Defend leading national accessories retailer against copyright infringement claims in the Central District of California
- Negotiate license and operating agreement for national soccer hall of fame
- Provide counsel to promotional entertainment services company in development and execution of national sweepstakes campaigns
- Draft and provide counsel regarding artwork donation and copyright license agreements for former U.S. President
- Negotiate major airline brand placement in national television reality series
- Prosecute trademark cancellation proceeding before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board on behalf of national music non-profit
- Negotiate talent engagement and content production agreements for the development and promotion of original music and music video for leading online dating services provider
- Regularly counsel national advertising agency in content clearance and compliance matters
- Negotiate co-branding and promotional license agreements on behalf of major airline in connection with feature film release
- Develop internal and external social media influencer policies for national financial services company
- Regularly enforce copyright and trademark rights for leading online dating services provider through international domain name disputes, Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) take-down notices, and platform-specific content dispute proceedings
- Moderator, "Protecting & Enforcing Your Brand in the Intellectual Property, Domain Name, and Mobile App Arenas," 2017 ANA/BAA Marketing Law Conference, November 14, 2017
- "Top Advertising and Marketing Issues Facing Retailers Today," Consumer Products, Retail, and Franchise Industry Group, June 21, 2017
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Bluegrass Heritage Foundation
- Volunteer, Dallas Ramp Project
- Member, United States Practical Shooting Association