Ramela Ohanian is an associate in the Entertainment, Technology and Advertising Practice Group in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Ramela represents producers, studios, media companies and networks on a variety of transactional matters related to television (scripted and unscripted), digital media, and feature films. Her practice focuses on the development and production of projects in the United States and abroad, including the handling of major first look and overall agreements, rights acquisitions, and talent agreements.
She frequently negotiates agreements on behalf of Amazon Studios (including personal favorites Modern Love and Brittany Runs A Marathon) and Nickelodeon Animation Studios (Big Nate), and also works with Focus Features (Voyagers), Gunpowder & Sky (69: The Saga of Danny Hernandez), Hemisphere Media Group, and more. Ramela has served as production counsel, and she has also facilitated the localization of multiple productions outside of the United States, such as in Germany and Italy.
In September 2020, Ramela authored the article “The Right To Do It For The ‘Gram’”, published by the American Bar Association’s Landslide magazine. And in March 2021, she co-authored the article “Some Press is Bad Press: False Light in the Modeling Industry”, published by the Beverly Hills Bar Association’s Global Fashion Lawyer magazine.
Ramela has also been on the other side of the business, as in-house counsel at AwesomenessTV, a media and entertainment company, where she served as the lead production attorney for the Awestruck programming division. In addition, Ramela managed agreements across multiple platforms, including YouTube, Facebook and Instagram, along with influencer marketing deals with brands, agencies and talent. Her work also focused on content acquisition, on-camera talent services and multi-channel network agreements, and company marketing campaigns, including contests and sweepstakes.
Ramela received her law degree from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles where she focused her studies on entertainment and was a member of the Entertainment and Sports Law Society. During law school, Ramela interned for Bloom Hergott Diemer Rosenthal LaViolette Feldman Schenkman & Goodman, LLP, Starz Entertainment, and Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP.
When Ramela is not practicing law, she can be found playing volleyball or baking dessert (always chocolate-related, of course).
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers, 2023
Top Entertainment Attorney, Variety's Legal Impact Report, 2023
Variety’s Dealmakers Impact Report: Tough Times Take Tough Negotiators, 2022
Next Gen 2021: The Hollywood Reporter’s 35 Rising Executives 35 and Under, 2021
Top Entertainment Attorney, Variety's Up Next, 2021
Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2022-2023
- Global Fashion Lawyer, 03.2021
- ABA’s Landslide Magazine, 09.14.2020
- Speaker, “Speed Networking Event” – UCLA Entertainment Law Association, 2023
- Moderator, “How to Shape an Authentic Practice” – Sheppard Mullin, Women Lawyers Group Retreat, 2023
- Moderator, “The Inside Scoop: The In-House Counsel Experience with Guidance from Outside Counsel” – The Armenian Bar Association, 2023
- Panelist – Loyola Law School Entertainment Law Review Alumni Panel, 2022
- Co-Chair, “Hollywood and the Guilds” Panel – The Association of Media and Entertainment Counsel (AMEC), 2022
- Panelist – “Digital Media & The Law” – Loyola Law School Entertainment & Sports Law Society, 2022
- Judge – UCLA Law School Cybersecurity Moot Court Competition, 2022
- Panelist – Loyola Law School Entertainment Law Review Alumni Panel, 2021
- Co-Presenter, “Production Legal 101” – Portland Film Festival, 2021
- Co-Chair, “IP Issues in User-Generated Content” Panel – The Association of Media and Entertainment Counsel (AMEC), 2021
- Judge – UCLA Law School Cybersecurity Moot Court Competition, 2021
- Moderator, “Making Reality TV A Reality: Overcoming Legal Issues in Development & Production” Panel – AMEC, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Endorsement Negotiations and Crisis Management” – The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), 2019
Member of the 2023 Emerging Leaders Board of AMEC
Executive Committee Member of the Armenian Women’s Bar Association
Chair of the 2022 Emerging Leaders Board of the Association of Media and Entertainment Counsel (AMEC)
Member of the 2021 Emerging Leaders Board of AMEC
J.D., Loyola Law School, 2016
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2012