- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, 1992, with honors
- B.A., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1989
- All California Federal District Courts
- All California State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
Robert D. Weber is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Rob Weber has extensive experience across a broad range of matters, including securities class actions, derivative actions, investigations and proceedings initiated by the Securities and Exchange Commission, state securities agencies and self-regulatory organizations, internal corporate investigations and other complex commercial litigation.
He also advises public companies regarding corporate governance and disclosure issues.
Rob has an international practice with a significant focus on Chinese and other Asian clients involved in US litigation and SEC enforcement actions. He has been engaged in over a dozen matters involving Asian clients, including securities class actions, derivative lawsuits, SEC investigations and internal investigations.
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2016-2018
- Pacific Palisades Citizen of the Year, in recognition of his outstanding service to his local community, 2013
- Community Service Award, Pacific Palisades Community Council, 2011
- Obtained the complete dismissal on summary judgment for the directors of the nation's largest Korean-American bank in a shareholder derivative action. Successfully defended the decision in an appeal to the California Court of Appeal
- Won a complete dismissal on summary judgment for a Hong Kong investment bank in a $100 million-plus securities fraud lawsuit filed in the Central District of California arising from an IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Represents an AMEX-traded Chinese company and several of its officers and directors in a securities class action involving allegations that, among other things, the company's finances as reported in its SEC filings did not correspond with financial results the company reported to the SAIC, and that the company overpaid for several significant assets, pending in the Central District of California
- Represents a US oil and gas producer in parallel securities class actions and shareholder derivative actions pending in Tennessee
- Represented an analyst in a federal defamation suit brought by a public company and its chairman seeking over $100 million in damages. Obtained complete dismissal of the case by winning an Anti-SLAPP Motion to Strike
- Gaynor v. Miller, et al., 205 F.Supp.3d 935 (E.D. Tenn. 2016)
- In re: Resonant Inc. Securities Litigation, 2016 WL 1737959 Tribank Capital Investments, Inc. v. Orient Paper, Inc., 2013 WL 4200898 (C.D. Cal. August 14, 2013)
- In re New Energy Systems Securities Litigation, 2014 WL 5002741 (S.D.N.Y. September 30, 2014)
- Campbell v. Weihe Yu, et al., 25 F.Supp.3d 472 (S.D.N.Y. 2014)
- Lukas v. McPeak, 730 F.3d 635 (6th Cir. 2013)
- Lukas v. McPeak, 2012 WL 4359437 (E.D. Tenn. 2012)
- Chung v. Nara Bancorp, Inc., et al., 2012 WL 290359 (Cal.App. 2 Dist. February 01, 2012)
- Medifast, Inc. v. Minkow, 2011 WL 1157625 (S.D. Cal. March 29, 2011)
- Latshaw v. Trainer Wortham & Co., Inc., 452 F.3d 1097 (9th Cir. 2006)
- Bryant v. Roblee, 153 S.W.3d 626 (Tex.App.-Amarillo 2004)
The Growing Menace of ‘Short and Distort’ Campaigns, Westlaw Journal Securities Litigation & Regulation, 2017 WL 3708069, August 30, 2017
Class Actions Arising from IPOs, Traits and Trends, Practical Law The Journal, April/May 2017
When U.S. Law Collides With Chinese Reality, New York Law Journal, March 14, 2016
Shareholder Activism is Good, Financier Worldwide, August 2015
Expert Advice May Insulate Directors From Liability, Bank News, March 2012
- This Check is (Not) in the MailAmerican Lawyer, February 6, 2018
- Sheppard Snags Securities Partner From DLA PiperLaw360, August 29, 2017
- Rob serves on the Potrero Canyon Citizens Advisory Committee and the Palisades Americanism Parade Committee (past President) and is a former executive of the Pacific Palisades Community Council.