Segun Aluko is an associate in the Entertainment, Technology and Advertising and Corporate Practice Groups in Sheppard Mullin's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Segun’s practice focuses on transactional entertainment matters. He advises studios, production companies, independent producers, and digital content creators in all aspects of the creation and exploitation of motion pictures, documentaries, television series, and animated projects. He also counsels the firm’s entertainment and technology clients on corporate matters related to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, venture capital, private equity, and corporate finance.
Segun regularly advises companies like Amazon Studios, Disney Television Animation, Nickelodeon Animation Studios, Sun Distribution, Komixx Entertainment and Yellow Films on development, rights acquisition, production services, and overall and first look agreements, licensing and distribution agreements, and other entertainment matters. He’s also advised celebrities like Troy Aikman, Jared Leto, and Erin Andrews on brand partnership, endorsement, and venture capital deals as well as venture funds on equity financing deals. He also counseled Superrare and TuneGo on NFTs marketplace and license agreements and Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., Inc. on technology agreements in connection with its telematics platforms.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Segun was a Business Affairs Executive at William Morris Endeavor where he collaborated with and counseled literary and talent agents on film, television, podcasts, and digital media deals. Segun started his legal career as an associate at the prestigious Nigerian law firm – Aluko & Oyebode – where he represented clients on corporate matters related to mergers and acquisitions, project finance, and general commercial transactions as well as commercial arbitration and litigation.
Segun received his LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws) from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, LL.M. (Master of Laws with Entertainment, Media, and Intellectual Property Certificate) from USC Gould School of Law, and M.B.A. (Master of Business Administration with specialization in Finance and Entrepreneurship) from UCLA Anderson School of Management.
Segun is also a licensed attorney in Nigeria and a public speaker at events that provide capacity building for artists, talent, and independent producers in the entertainment industry. Segun was recently named to Variety magazine’s Hollywood’s New Leader class of 2022.
Hollywood's New Leaders, Variety, 2022
Entertainment Law Blog Posts
- "Nollywood Needs Co-Production Treaties to Move to the Next Level," August 6, 2021
- Panelist, "The New Wave – African Entertainment, The New Currency” and “The Legalities of The Entertainment Industry,” Entertainment Week Lagos, December 12 - 15, 2022
- Panelist, “From Real Life to Real Housewives,” BESLA, September 30 - December 4, 2022
- Panelist, "NFTs and the Intersection of Sports, Entertainment & Digital Assets," 41st BESLA Annual Conference, November 4, 2021
- The Business Case for Black Stories in Media and Entertainment: Exploring Dealmaking, Tax Incentives, and Co-Production TreatiesWebinar, 02.24.2022
- Celebrity Services For Equity, San Diego, CA and Virtual, 11.17.2021
M.B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2019
LL.M., University of Southern California, 2012
LL.B., Obafemi Awolowo University, 2008
- West African Pidgin English