Serene Ateek is an associate in the Entertainment, Technology and Advertising Practice Group in the firm's Dallas office.
Areas of Practice
Her practice focuses on transactional entertainment and advertising matters that are routine, complex, and novel, including content licensing, rights acquisitions, and endorsement, sponsorship and branded content deals. She works with advertising agencies, brands, studios, production companies, and celebrity talent.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Serene practiced corporate law at another major law firm, focusing on mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, joint ventures, outside counsel representation, start-up counseling, and other general corporate matters.
Regardless of the subject matter, Serene is focused on providing high-quality, practical solutions to transactional concerns in an efficient manner. She distills and communicates legal concepts to her clients in a way that educates and empowers them to understand the protections and risks that live within each agreement before they sign.
Serene speaks fluent Arabic and currently serves on the Board of Genesis Young Leaders to help stop domestic violence in the Dallas community.
Serene earned her J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law. During law school, she served as Staff Editor for the Texas Journal for Civil Liberties and Civil Rights, interned at The Center for Women in Law, and clerked for The Honorable David Evans at the Court of Appeals for the Fifth District of Texas.
Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2023
- Co-Author, "Avoiding Fashing Faux Pas: Factors to Consider When Drafting Agreements for Fashion Companies," January 2022
- Co-Author, "Cancel Culture and the Endless Stream of Subscriptions: A Discussion of Automatic Renewal Laws," October 2021
- Speaker, "AI Art: Is It the Future, Infringement, or Even Art At All," Dallas Bar Association Entertainment, Arts, and Sports Law Section, March 2023
- Moderator, "Put Me In Coach! A Discussion of Eligibility for High School, College, and Olympic Athletes," Dallas Bar Association Entertainment, Arts, and Sports Law Section, August 2022
- Speaker, Educate and Empower Entrepreneurs (E3) Workshop, Presented "Attorneys and Why You Shouldn't be Scared of Them" and "Know Before You Sign: How to Read a Contract," January 2022
- Speaker, "Fashion Faux Pas: Legal Pitfalls for Fashion Companies to Avoid," Presented by the Entertainment & Sports Law Section of the Austin Bar Association (ESLABA) and the Texas Chapter of the Copyright Society of the USA, July 2021
Co-Chair, Dallas Bar Association - Entertainment, Arts, and Sports Law Section
Committee Member, Texas Law Dallas Young Alumni Steering Committee
Board Member, Genesis Young Leaders
J.D., University of Texas, 2017
B.A., University of Texas, 2013, magna cum laude, Dean's List, Distinguished College Scholar: Ranked in the top 4% of the College of Liberal Arts