Steven P. Braccini is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Silicon Valley office.
Areas of Practice
Steve's practice focuses on trust, probate and conservatorship litigation including, but not limited to:
- Will contests
- Trust contests
- Removal and surcharge actions
- Contested conservatorships
- Accounting disputes
- Financial elder abuse actions
- Reformation or modification actions
- Tax controversy
- Related “civil” claims
Steve also has an appellate practice and has presented numerous seminars and workshops on issues related to trust and estate litigation.
- During a jury trial, obtained a judgment of nonsuit in favor of his client, the trustee of a family trust, who was accused of engaging in financial elder abuse causing damages in excess of $50 million.
- Obtained a judgment cancelling a 98‑year lease on behalf of his clients following a two-week bench trial.
- Obtained judgment in favor of client involving a dispute over who was the intended beneficiary of an ambiguous residuary clause in a Trust, valued in excess of $5 million, following a multiple-day bench trial.
- Obtained summary judgment, which was later affirmed on appeal, on behalf of clients in a case involving the voiding of a marriage after death.
- In an action spanning two different counties and seven petitions, obtained a very favorable “global settlement” increasing his client’s share in a $24 million apartment complex by $3 million while simultaneously extricating client from all potential liability.
Northern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2019
- "Anticipating and Resolving Trust and Estates Disputes," San Francisco Estate Planning Council and Golden Gate University, May 31, 2019
- "Daddy Lost His Marbles, Now What? — A Primer on Financial Elder Abuse and Capacity," Peninsula Estate Planning Council, January 2018
- "Dispute Resolution, Communication, Mediation, Litigation," Kasner Symposium, Panelist September 2017
- "The Only Constant is Change: Giraldin, Drake v. Pinkham and an Aging Population," State Bar of California (Webinar), Lecturer May 2016
- Funky Credit Day, Ethics and Probate, San Mateo County Bar Association, Co‑presenter January 2016
- Ethics and Probate "The Old Man and the Three," San Mateo County Bar Association, Co‑presenter January 2015
- "Strategies in Commencing an Elder Abuse Case"; "Successfully Mediating an Elder Abuse Case"; "Trying an Elder Abuse Case," 34th Annual Southern California Estate & Tax Planning Forum, Co‑presenter October 2014
- "Beyond the Four Corners: Extrinsic Evidence and Will Construction in Light of Estate of Duke," Silicon Valley Bar Association, Co‑presenter September 2014
- "Fiduciaries Gone Wild: Breach of Trust and Financial Elder Abuse," Palo Alto Area Bar Association, August 2014
- "Attorneys’ Fees in Probates, Trusts and Conservatorships," State Bar of California Trusts and Estates Section, 2014 Summer Education Conference, Co‑presenter, May 2014
- "A Practitioner’s Minefield: Elder Abuse and Ethical Issues Arising in the Trusts and Estates Arena," Legal Assistance for Seniors – 9th Annual Conference on Elder Abuse, UC Hastings College of the Law, Co‑presenter May 2014
- "Crossover Issues Between Probate and Family Law," San Mateo County Bar Association, Co‑presenter May 2014
- "The Metrics for Determining the Amount of Attorneys’ Fees in Probate," San Mateo County Bar Association, Co‑presenter April 2014
- "Minimizing Litigation Risks in Trust & Estate Administration," Financial Planning Forum, Palo Alto, September 2013
- "Before and After: A Trustee’s Duties to Residual Beneficiaries Before a Trustor’s Death (And After Estate of Giraldin)," San Mateo County Bar Association, Co‑presenter September 2012
- "The Perils of ‘Mail Order’ Estate Plans," San Mateo County Bar Association, Estate Planning Section (Young Lawyers subsection), April 2012
American College of Trusts & Estates Counsel (ACTEC), Fellow
San Mateo County Bar Association, Estate Planning and Probate Section, Chair (2016-2017)
REACH Youth Scholarships, Board Member
State Bar of California Trusts & Estates Section Executive Committee, Bench/Bar Subcommittee Member
Silicon Valley Bar Association
San Francisco Estate Planning Council
St. Christopher Catholic Church, Lector
J.D., Santa Clara University, 2003
B.S., Psychology, Santa Clara University, 1999
- Judicial extern for Magistrate Judge Edward A. Infante of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of California