- J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 1996
- B.B.A., University of Texas at Arlington, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
Shaun Clark is a partner in the firm's internationally acclaimed Transactional Entertainment, Technology and Advertising Practice Group, which was recently ranked in the top tier by both Chambers USA and the Legal 500 U.S. He resides in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Shaun Clark represents major brands, independent producers, advertising agencies, studios and other entertainment and advertising-related entities in the acquisition of intellectual property rights and the development, finance, production, distribution, and exploitation of entertainment and branded content and related live events, merchandising, social media, and online and field marketing promotional campaigns. Mr. Clark is very interested in virtual reality content, and he is working with some of the top companies in this emerging space.
Mr. Clark also counsels brands and individuals on brand development and the negotiation of sponsorship, product placement, licensing and celebrity endorsement agreements.
Mr. Clark has represented numerous institutional clients in their capacity as lenders, guarantors, and borrowers, in the negotiation and documentation of complex financing deals and intercreditor relationships, in negotiations with assignees for the benefit of creditors and trustees, and in foreclosure proceedings.
He also has drafted and negotiated numerous shopping, co-development and co-production agreements for series television and motion pictures, and collection account and custodial agreements in connection with the administration of proceeds from multiple sources.
Mr. Clark also represents investors, sellers and purchasers of entertainment and media companies, brands, assets, and entertainment properties.
Mr. Clark represents or has represented such companies as Ogilvy & Mather, Snapchat, Playboy Enterprises, Bethenny Frankel, Skinnygirl Margaritas, Oculus, Vice Media, Turner Entertainment Networks, Hard Rock Casinos, CISCO, Focus Features, WPT Enterprises (World Poker Tour), Commerzleasing, Bunim-Murray Productions, Lyric Culture, Inform Ventures, Rainforest Films, Bridget Marquardt, Kolberg Kravis Roberts & Co., Kendra Wilkinson, Chrysler, Longneedle Entertainment, Alta Loma Entertainment, Apollo Group, Backyard/Seed, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Exxon Mobil, Permira, XPLR Productions, Morgan Stanley, Furlined, Paramount International Television, Mighty Oak Entertainment, Vince Neil, Gymboree, dick clark productions, United Artists, Activision, The Walt Disney Company, Hugh M. Hefner, The Tetris Company, JWT, Association of Independent Commercial Producers, Children of the Night (non-profit), and Yahoo!.
- Top Entertainment Attorney, Variety's Legal Impact Report, 2016
- Who's Who Legal: Sports & Entertainment, 2015
- Marketing and Advertising, Legal 500, 2012-2014
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2012-2017
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- "World's Leading Sports and Entertainment Lawyer" - Listed in The International Who's Who of Sports & Entertainment Lawyers, 2013-2015.
- "Power Lawyer" - Named as a "power lawyer" by the publishers of The Hollywood Reporter for 2011.
- "Rising Star" - Named as a "rising star" by the publishers of Super Lawyers for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
- "Fast Track Partner" - Recognized by the National Law Journal as one of the five "fast track" partners in 2005, in the article titled "Fast Track Partners", National Law Journal, Page 1, October 31, 2005.
- "Top 20 Lawyers under 40 in California" - Recognized as one of the Top 20 Lawyers under 40 in the state of California in the article titled "Young Guns", Daily Journal Extra, March 21, 2005, page 16.
- "Top 35 Entertainment Executives 35 and Under" - Selected by the Hollywood Reporter as one of the Top 35 entertainment executives 35 years old and under in their annual "Next Generation Special Edition", Hollywood Reporter Article (Nov. 9-15, 2004, page S-1), Fall, 2004.
- "Top 40 Entertainment Lawyers in Los Angeles" - Selected by Los Angeles Business Journal in their "Who's Who in L.A. Law" article, Los Angeles Business Journal (October 11, 2010, Special Report)
- "At the Crossroads: Brand integration deals involved copyright, trademark, and insurance considerations," Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine, May 2014
- “Shaun Clark Enjoys the Variety and Challenge of Being a Top Entertainment Attorney”, January 10, 2007.
- “How to Win at Poker and Never Play a Hand”, Southern California Super Lawyers 2007, July 2007.
- “Sprint's Killer Marketing App? Jack Bauer”, Advertising Age, March 29, 2007.
- “Brand Wranglers – Attorneys Broker Placing Products in Productions”, Daily Journal, P. 7, October 12, 2006.
- “Brand New World”, Page 1, Hollywood Reporter, Esq., September 5, 2006.
- “Ask A Rising Star . . . How has TiVo changed entertainment law?”, P. S-23, Southern California Super Lawyers 2006, July 2006.
- “Getting in on a Gaming Law Practice Is a Fail-Safe Bet”, Of Counsel, Vol. 25, No.3, March 2006.
- “Fast Track Partners”, National Law Journal, Page 1, October 31, 2005.
- “Young Guns”, March 21, 2005.
- “Ad Giant in Position for Global Grab”, Daily Variety, Page 42, January 21, 2005.
- “Producers Find that Reality Bites, So Lawyers Take Key Role in Production”, Los Angeles Business Journal, May 5, 2003.
- “Taking Steps Toward Post Modification Comfort” - Commercial Lender, 2nd Qtr., 1999.
- “Just How Negative Towards a Negative Pickup Can a Court Get?” - Co-Author Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section Newsletter of the L.A. County Bar Association, Winter 1998.
- New Media Symposium: The Internet and Beyond, Spring 1996, 16 Loy. L.A. Ent L.J. 541.
- "Blazing a New Trial: How Recording Artists Are Partnering with the Liquor, Wine, Beer, & Marijuana Industries to Create Customized Artist-Branded Products" – Panel for American Bar Association's Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 6-8, 2016.
- “Hollywood comes to Silicon Beach: A Primer for the Startup” – Special presentation with ICM Partners, Santa Monica, California, February 13, 2014.
- “The Saga of a Motion Picture Franchise” – USC and BHBA 2013 Institute on Entertainment Law and Business, Los Angeles, California, October 5, 2013.
- “Entertainment M&A Transactions” - American Bar Association M&A Committee Meeting, Laguna Beach, California, February 4, 2012.
- “The Next Big thing: Emerging Issues in Entertainment Law” - Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, November 12, 2010.
- “The Big Picture on Small Screen Brand Integration Deals” - USC and BHBA 2009 Institute on Entertainment Law and Business, Los Angeles, California, October 17, 2009.
- “Film & Television Law” - Entertainment Law Forum, Pepperdine Law School, Malibu, California, April 4, 2009.
- “Production Deals in the Age of Digital Integration” – 2009 ANA Advertising Law & Business Affairs Conference, New York, New York, March 10-11, 2009.
- “Successfully Marketing Your Film, TV and Media Projects While Avoiding The Legal Pitfalls” – Beverly Hills Bar Association, Beverly Hills, California, December 9, 2008.
- “Sports Branding: Hat Tricks, Home Runs, and Touchdowns” – USC and BHBA 2007 Institute on Entertainment Law and Business, Los Angeles, California, October 27, 2007.
- “Branding Hollywood and Beyond – How Major Brands and Retailers are Harnessing Opportunities and How to Profit from this Space” – American Conference Institute’s 2nd Annual Maximizing Branded Entertainment Deals, New York, New York, March 27-28, 2007.
- “Tackling the Unique Issues in Television Financing” - National Investment Community’s Forum on Entertainment Finance, October 24-25, 2006, New York, New York.
- “And Now A Word From Our Sponsors – Branded Entertainment in the 21st Century” – Beverly Hills Bar Association, Los Angeles, California, August 9, 2006.
- “Structuring & Negotiating Win/Win Brand Integration Deals” – American Conference Institute’s 1st Annual Maximizing Branded Entertainment Deals, Los Angeles, California, January 30-31, 2006.
- “Going All In: Poker and the Law” – Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, February 24, 2005.
- “Independent Film Finance” – California Lawyers for the Arts/Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California, October 29, 2001.
- “Copyright Basics” – Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California, October 2000.
- Sheppard Mullin & ICM PartnersFebruary 13, 2014