Sascha Henry is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. She leads the firm’s Business Trial Practice Group and Food and Beverage Industry Team.
Areas of Practice
Sascha excels at helping clients respond to sensitive and complex litigation , including class actions:
- She prevailed at the motion to dismiss stage in a consumer class action, convincing the court that no reasonable consumer would be misled by the client’s label regarding the presence of added sugar. She recently argued the case and prevailed at the appellate level, resulting in a favorable published decision for defendants.
- She led a team of lawyers to favorably resolve a multi-year, complex dispute spanning two state courts, a federal court, and an arbitration.
- She regularly counsels clients who receive pre-litigation demand letters alleging products are misleadingly advertised.
- She prevailed on a motion for summary judgment in a putative nationwide class action that alleged that the client misled consumers about the fill of its beverages.
- She prevailed on a motion for summary judgment in a putative class action alleging the client, a national restaurant chain, misled consumers about its food.
- She also prevailed on two motions to dismiss in false advertising class actions, arguing that no reasonable consumer could be deceived by the alleged description of a beverage size.
- She defeated class certification of an alleged nationwide class action involving allegations of false labeling of food.
- She argued a case before the California Second District Court of Appeal, and the court then affirmed summary judgment in favor of the client in a complex business matter.
- In 2011, she prevailed in a complex business fraud case, resulting in a jury verdict of over $300 million for the client after a lengthy trial.
Sascha's experience includes actions involving:
- Alleged violations of California's Unfair Competition Law and False Advertising Law and other state's equivalents, including Florida's Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act and New York’s General Business Law §§ 349350
- Alleged breach of contract, including distribution and supply agreements
- Business torts, including intentional interference claims and theft of trade secrets
Sascha has also litigated disputes regarding shareholder rights, privacy rights, defamation, truth in lending laws, sovereign immunity and Insurance Code violations.
Sascha's experience includes litigating in state and federal trial courts, as well as appellate work in the California Court of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented beverage retailer in false advertising class action. Prevailed on motion for summary judgment.
- Represented national restaurant company in class action over alleged false advertising. Prevailed on motion for summary judgment, and defeated class certification.
- Represented national restaurant company in class action over alleged false advertising.
- Represented beverage retailer in two false advertising class actions. Prevailed on both on motion to dismiss.
- Represented supplement manufacturer in false advertising class action relating to product labeling. Prevailed on motion to dismiss.
- Represented national restaurant company in false advertising class action relating to menus. Defeated class certification and matter resolved favorably for client.
- Represented supplement manufacturer in false advertising class action. Prevailed on motion to dismiss.
- Represented cosmetic manufacturer in false advertising class action. Resolved by favorable settlement.
- Represented insurer in class action alleging class was owed interest on deposits paid. Prevailed on summary judgment and judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented law firm in class action against allegations of malpractice. Resolved by favorable settlement.
- Represented storage facility in class action against allegations of statutory violations related to insurance program. Resolved by favorable settlement.
- Represented internet-based company in class action alleging false advertising and unfair business practices. Resolved by favorable settlements.
- Represented lender in class action alleging class members' privacy rights were violated. Prevailed in arbitration, and judgment in favor of client was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented app developer in class action alleging class members' privacy rights were violated. Case against client dismissed.
- Represented lender in class action alleging class members were deceived into paying undisclosed fees. Prevailed on summary judgment, and judgment was affirmed on appeal.
Complex Business Cases:
- Represented real estate developer in dispute regarding sales commissions. Prevailed on summary judgment and judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented insurer against policyholder in complex fraud and deception case. Prevailed after three-month jury trial.
- Represented technology company in license dispute. Resolved in client's favor.
- Represented lenders in connection with fraud committed by borrowers. Resolved by favorable settlement.
- Represented manufacturer in complex dispute with distributor. Resolved by favorable settlement.
- Represented online marketing service in dispute with marketing vendor. Resolved by favorable settlement.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in dispute with vendor. Prevailed in arbitration, and judgment in favor of client was affirmed on appeal.
Published Appellate Decisions:
Shaeffer v. Califia Farms, LLC, 44 Cal. App.5th 1125 (2020)
State Comp. Ins. Fund v. Sup. Ct., 184 Cal. App. 4th 1124 (2010)
- Leading U.S. Litigator, Lawdragon, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation, Best Lawyers, 2018-2023
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2018-2020
- Recommended Lawyer: Media, Technology and Telecoms - Advertising and Marketing: Litigation, Legal 500, 2019
- Top Women Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2012, 2014 and 2020
- Most Influential Women Lawyers, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2019
- Top 20 Under 40, Daily Journal, 2012
- Attorney of the Year, The Recorder, 2012
- Food Manufacturing, 01.05.2022
- Food Manufacturing, 01.06.2021
- Food Manufacturing, 01.23.2020
- Association of National Advertisers, 11.2019
- Food Manufacturing, 04.20.2018
- American Bar Association: The Woman Advocate, 05.24.2016
- Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, 03.29.2016
- Bloomberg BNA: Class Action Litigation Report, 03.28.2014
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 01.06.2014
Class Action Defense Strategy Blog Posts
- "Ninth Circuit Concludes That Common Issues Do Not Predominate Where Retailer’s In-Store Signs and Oral Sales Statements Place Each Putative Class Member’s Exposure to Misleading Statements in Doubt," 02.13.2014
FDA Law Blog Posts
- "FDA Proposes Updated Rule for “Healthy” Foods," October 27, 2022
- The American Lawyer, 11.17.2021
- Too Cute? Appeals Court Nixes Claim Over 'No Sugar Added' Label on Cuties JuiceThe Recorder, 02.06.2020
- Law360's Weekly Verdict: Legal Lions & LambsLaw360, 03.15.2018
- 9th Circ. Clears Starbucks In Underfilled Iced Drink SuitLaw360, 03.13.2018
- Law360's Weekly Verdict: Legal Lions & LambsLaw360, 01.12.2018
- Starbucks Wins Toss Of Underfilled Latte Class ActionLaw360, 01.05.2018
- Judge Not Hot On Suit Alleging Starbucks Shorts LattesLaw360, 11.07.2017
- Law360, 08.25.2016
- Food Labeling Cases Prove Tough For Plaintiffs' LawyersDaily Journal, 01.09.2015
- Law360, 06.24.2014
- Daily Journal, 05.07.2014
- Inside Counsel, 04.01.2014
- Speaker, ACI’s Food Litigation in 2022: Analyzing Class-Actions Claims and Other Litigation Activity Affecting the Food and Beverage Industry, Chicago, Illinois, July 13, 2022
- Speaker, PFAs Litigation and Policy Concerns, Webinar for Restaurant Law Center, June 8, 2022
- Co-Chair, CLE International’s 6th Annual Food Law Conference, Virtual, March 11, 2021
- Co-Chair, CLE International’s 5th Annual Food Law Conference, San Francisco, California, March 2-3, 2020
- Co-Chair, CLE International's 4th Annual Food Law Seminar, UCLA Law Faculty Center, Los Angeles, California, June 6-7, 2019
- Co-Chair, CLE International’s 3rd Annual Food Law Seminar, Denver, Colorado, April 19-20, 2018
- Speaker, "Consumer Fraud and Product Labeling," CLE International Class Actions Conference, Los Angeles, California, November 8, 2017
- Co-Chair, CLE International’s 2nd Annual Food Law Seminar, Austin, Texas, May 11-12, 2017
- Co-Chair, CLE International’s First Annual Food Law Seminar," Washington, D.C., March 17-18, 2016
- Speaker, "The Class Standing Doctrine: How Close Must Putative Class Claims Be to Those of the Class Representative," CLE International Class Actions Conference, Washington, D.C., October 3, 2013
- Speaker, "Class Action Laws In Motion: A Brief Overview of Some Monumental Changes over the Past Six Months," CLE International Class Actions Conference, Chicago, Illinois, October 4, 2012
- Speaker, "Recent Trends in False Advertising Law: The Import of Kwikset and Mazza," CLE International's Class Actions Conference, Los Angeles, California, May 17, 2012
- Member, Board of Directors of the Constitutional Rights Foundation, 2021 - present
- Member, Outside Advisory Board of the Resnick Center for Food Law & Policy at UCLA Law School, 2018 - present
- Member, Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, 2012 - 2017; Co-Chaired Dinner and Lunch Program Committees
- Member, Food Law Committee California State Bar, 2015 - present
- Member, Food and Supplements Subcommittee, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association, 2015 - 2017
- Member, Leadership California’s Executive Advisory Council, 2015 to 2017; past board member
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Class Actions and Derivative Suits Committee
- Member, Women's Advocate Committee, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association
J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, 1997, cum laude
B.A., Pennsylvania State University, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Central, Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan