- J.D., University of Minnesota, 1997, cum laude
- B.A., Pennsylvania State University, 1994
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Central, Southern and Northern Districts of California
- Eastern District of Michigan
Sascha Henry is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. She is Practice Group Leader of the Business Trial Practice Group, leads the firm's food and beverage industry team, and leads the consumer class action defense team.
Sascha defends clients in complex business litigation and consumer class actions:
- She recently prevailed on a motion for summary judgment in a putative nationwide class action that the client misled consumers about the fill of its beverages.
- She prevailed on a motion for summary judgment in a putative class action alleging the client, a national restaurant chain, misled consumers about its food.
- She also prevailed on two motions to dismiss in false advertising class actions, arguing that no reasonable consumer could be deceived by the alleged description of a beverage size.
- She defeated class certification of an alleged nationwide class action involving allegations of false labeling of food.
- She argued a case before the California Second District Court of Appeal, and the court then affirmed summary judgment in favor of the client in a complex business matter.
- In 2011, she prevailed in a complex business fraud case, resulting in a jury verdict of over $300 million for the client after a lengthy trial.
Sascha's experience includes actions involving:
- Alleged violations of California's Unfair Competition Law and False Advertising Law and other state's equivalents, including Florida's Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act and New York’s General Business Law §350
- Breach of contract
- Alleged theft of trade secrets
- Business torts
Sascha has also litigated disputes regarding trade secrets, shareholder rights, privacy rights, defamation, truth in lending laws, sovereign immunity and Insurance Code violations. She also counsels clients regarding business practices as they relate to consumers of goods and services.
Sascha's experience includes litigating in state and federal trial courts, as well as appellate work in the California Court of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Most Influential Women Lawyers, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2019
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation, Best Lawyers, 2018-2019
- Top Women Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2012, 2014
- Top 20 Under 40, Daily Journal, 2012
- Attorney of the Year, The Recorder, 2012
Represented beverage retailer in false advertising class action. Prevailed on motion for summary judgment.
Represented national restaurant chain in class action over alleged false advertising. Prevailed on motion for summary judgment, and defeated class certification.
Represented national restaurant company in class action over alleged false advertising.
Represented beverage retailer in two false advertising class actions. Prevailed on both on motion to dismiss.
Represented supplement manufacturer in false advertising class action relating to product labeling. Prevailed on motion to dismiss.
Represented national restaurant chain in false advertising class action relating to menus. Defeated class certification and matter resolved favorably for client.
Represented supplement manufacturer in false advertising class action. Prevailed on motion to dismiss.
Represented cosmetic manufacturer in false advertising class action. Resolved by favorable settlement.
Represented insurer in class action alleging class was owed interest on deposits paid. Prevailed on summary judgment and judgment was affirmed on appeal.
Represented law firm in class action against allegations of malpractice. Resolved by favorable settlement.
Represented storage facility in class action against allegations of statutory violations related to insurance program. Resolved by favorable settlement.
Represented internet-based company in class action alleging false advertising and unfair business practices. Resolved by favorable settlements.
Represented lender in class action alleging class members' privacy rights were violated. Prevailed in arbitration, and judgment in favor of client was affirmed on appeal.
Represented app developer in class action alleging class members' privacy rights were violated. Case against client dismissed.
Represented lender in class action alleging class members were deceived into paying undisclosed fees. Prevailed on summary judgment, and judgment was affirmed on appeal.
Complex Business Cases
Represented real estate developer in dispute regarding sales commissions. Prevailed on summary judgment and judgment was affirmed on appeal.
Represented insurer against policyholder in complex fraud and deception case. Prevailed after lengthy jury trial.
Represented technology company in license dispute. Resolved in client's favor.
Represented lenders in connection with fraud committed by borrowers. Resolved by favorable settlement.
Represented manufacturer in complex dispute with distributor. Resolved by favorable settlement.
Represented on-line marketing service in dispute with marketing vendor. Resolved by favorable settlement.
Represented pharmaceutical company in dispute with vendor. Prevailed in arbitration, and judgment in favor of client was affirmed on appeal.
Published Appellate Decisions
State Comp. Ins. Fund v. Sup. Ct., 184 Cal. App. 4th 1124 (2010)
Podcasts & Webinars
- Food Manufacturing, April 20, 2018
- American Bar Association: The Woman Advocate, May 24, 2016
- Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 29, 2016
- Bloomberg BNA: Class Action Litigation Report, March 28, 2014
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, January 6, 2014
Class Action Defense Strategy Blog Posts
- Law360's Weekly Verdict: Legal Lions & LambsLaw360, March 15, 2018
- 9th Circ. Clears Starbucks In Underfilled Iced Drink SuitLaw360, March 13, 2018
- Law360's Weekly Verdict: Legal Lions & LambsLaw360, January 12, 2018
- Starbucks Wins Toss Of Underfilled Latte Class ActionLaw360, January 5, 2018
- Judge Not Hot On Suit Alleging Starbucks Shorts LattesLaw360, November 7, 2017
- Law360, August 25, 2016
- Food Labeling Cases Prove Tough For Plaintiffs' LawyersDaily Journal, January 9, 2015
- Law360, June 24, 2014
- Daily Journal, May 7, 2014
- Inside Counsel, April 1, 2014
- Co-Chair, "CLE International's 4th Annual Food Law Seminar," UCLA Law Faculty Center, Los Angeles, CA, June 6-7, 2019
- Co-Chair, "CLE International’s Food Law Seminar," Denver, CO, April 19-20, 2018
- Speaker, "Consumer Fraud and Product Labeling," CLE International Class Actions Conference, Los Angeles, CA, November 8, 2017
- Co-Chair, "CLE International’s Food Law Seminar," Austin, TX, May 11-12, 2017
- Co-Chair, "CLE International’s Food Law Seminar," Washington, D.C., March 17-18, 2016
- Speaker, "The Class Standing Doctrine: How Close Must Putative Class Claims Be to Those of the Class Representative," CLE International Conference, Washington, D.C., October 3, 2013
- Speaker, "Class Action Laws In Motion: A Brief Overview of Some Monumental Changes over the Past Six Months," CLE International Conference, Chicago, October 4, 2012
- Speaker, "Recent Trends in False Advertising Law: The Import of Kwikset and Mazza," CLE International's Class Actions Conference in Los Angeles, May 17, 2012
- Innovative Foods & Other Hot TopicsApril 19-20, 2018
- A Comprehensive Review of the Evolving Legal LandscapeMay 11-12, 2017
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Board of Governors, 2012-2017; Co-chaired Dinner and Lunch Program Committees
- Member, Food Law Committee California State Bar (2015 to present)
- Member, Food and Supplements Subcommittee, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association (2015 to 2017)
- Member, Leadership California’s Executive Advisory Council (2015 to 2017); past board member
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Class Actions and Derivative Suits Committee
- Member, Women's Advocate Committee, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association