Sam Cohen is an associate in the Entertainment, Technology, and Advertising Practice Group in the firm’s New York office. He is lead associate of the Esports & Games Industry Team.
Areas of Practice
Sam represents a variety of emerging and established clients in their business ventures and transactions across all facets of the entertainment and media industries. His practice primarily focuses on transactions and advisory matters arising from the convergence of entertainment, intellectual property, and technological innovation. With extensive experience in the music industry, Sam guides clients in the music business, such as artists, record labels, publishers, distributors, and performing rights organizations, as well as other media companies on the music, technology, and intellectual property aspects of their business endeavors and strategic transactions. Areas of expertise include:
- Advising on transactions, intellectual property and regulatory issues involving disruptive technologies including content production and licensing for emerging distribution models and broadcasting initiatives, metaverse, NFT, and broader web3 matters, VR/AR and interactive media, and the use and commercialization of data.
- Structuring and negotiating talent, production, recording, licensing, and distribution deals across platforms and content including music, podcasts, digital media, and gaming.
- Structuring and negotiating commercial and technology transactions including master services agreements, SaaS, consulting agreements, and other agreements pertaining to online services and software development, licensing, distribution, and procurement.
- Advising on advertising and promotional initiatives across industries including joint venture agreements, influencer marketing, sponsorships and endorsements, programmatic advertising, venue licensing and brand activations, contests, and sweepstakes.
- Copyright and trademark strategy, risk evaluation, registration, enforcement, and compliance with applicable regulations.
- Drafting and implementing terms of service, privacy policies, and end user license agreements for websites, apps, and various products and services.
Sam was previously in-house counsel at Sony Music Entertainment, where he focused on technology and commercial transactions, advertising and influencer marketing, content licensing, and copyright and trademark issues.
- Fall 2021
- Sheppard Mullin, 06.25.2020
Privacy Law Blog Posts
- "China Draft PIPL Measures Outlines Thresholds for CAC Security Assessments," November 11, 2021
Game Counsel: Esports and Game Law Blog
- "Blockchain Game Developers and FinCEN: When are State Money Transmission Laws Applicable?" October 3, 2022
- "What the Future Holds for Esports Gambling," March 30, 2022
- "Esports Media Rights," October 21, 2021
- "Strategic Partnerships Advance Music and Gaming Synergy," July 22, 2021
Covering Your Ads Blog
"Native TikTok Tools May Create Liability for Brands and Influencers," September 2, 2020
J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 2016, associate editor, Journal of International Law, Glasser Merit Scholarship, Certificate in Intellectual Property, Media, and Information Law;
B.A., Northwestern University, 2013
- New York