Scott Stern is a partner in the Real Estate, Energy, Land Use & Environmental Practice Group in the firm's New York office.
Areas of Practice
Scott has more than 25 years of experience representing institutional lenders, owners-developers and other debt-providers in commercial real estate loan transactions involving a wide variety of financing structures, including acquisition, bridge, construction and permanent financing. Assets involved in such transactions include vacant land, cooperative and condominium buildings, parking garages, shopping centers, mixed-use buildings, industrial warehouses, office buildings and hotels.
Scott represents lenders in mezzanine loans and other types of asset-based lending, and has experience with syndicated, agented and participated loan transactions, revolving credit facilities, swap agreements, intercreditor and co-lender agreements and other structured finance transactions. He also has extensive experience in loan workouts and restructures and has represented lenders and owners in loan acquisitions and dispositions. Scott has also been involved with numerous deed-in-lieu transactions, debt for equity swaps and other troubled loan workout structures.
In addition to his financing experience, Scott also represents owners and developers in the acquisition, development, financing and sale of real estate and joint venture transactions.
Strong leadership in advising clients has earned Scott acknowledgement from a number of industry publications. He was recognized by Chambers USA from 2012–2016 for Real Estate: Finance and was described by the publication as being “very dedicated,” and “appreciated by clients for being ‘responsive at any time of the day.’” Clients also describe him as “very knowledgeable in the area of real estate finance” and “he looks to find solutions rather than problems and takes a practical view.” He has also been recognized as a Best Lawyer for Real Estate since 2012 and a New York Super Lawyer since 2009.
Recent representative transactions include representation of:
- An institutional lender in connection with a US$200 million acquisition and construction loan involving the conversion of a hotel under a ground lease in New York, New York to residential condominiums.
- An owner-developer in connection with a US$500 million mortgage and mezzanine loan secured by a portfolio of properties in New York.
- An institutional lender in the sale of a US$350 million portfolio of loans secured by real estate across the United States.
- An institutional lender in connection with a US$100 million acquisition loan for a development site in lower Manhattan.
- An institutional lender in connection with the restructure of a US$230 million mortgage loan involving properties located across the Midwest.
- An institutional lender in connection with a US$350 million construction loan for a condominium project in Lower Manhattan.
* Includes matters handled prior to joining Sheppard Mullin.
New York Metro Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2022
J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, 1996, cum laude, Notes and Comments Editor, Arts and Entertainment Law Journal
B.A., University of Wisconsin, 1993
- New York