- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1999, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Pepperdine University, 1994, cum laude
Stephanie Zeppa is a partner in the Corporate & Securities Group in the firm's San Francisco and Silicon Valley office. Her corporate expertise spans businesses in a variety of industries including software and information technology, life sciences and healthcare and food and beverage.
Areas of Practice
Nationally recognized as a leading venture capital and M&A lawyer, Chambers USA’s Guide to Leading Lawyers noted Ms. Zeppa is described by clients as "a very solid ally on your team," "a very logical and fast thinker" and "an excellent negotiator" with a "broad understanding of issues."
Ms. Zeppa has extensive experience representing both private and public companies in a wide range of transactions including mergers and acquisitions, investments, strategic transactions as well as corporate governance matters. She also represents emerging growth companies, founders, institutional and strategic investors in connection with formation, financing and exits of emerging growth and technology companies.
Ms. Zeppa is Co-Leader of the firm’s Social Media and Games Team.
- Mergers and Acquisitions, Legal 500, 2014-2017
- Corporate/M&A: Venture Capital, Chambers, 2013
- Represented venture fund investors in various early and late stage institutional rounds of investments for a diverse range of technology companies including Berkeley Lights, Liquid Space, SV Tools, Kiip, Bitfinder, Delighted, InvoiceASAP, MobilePD, Ekahau, DNA Direct and Reaction Housing Systems.
- Represented Samsung Venture Investment Corporation in connection with numerous venture financings.
- Represented a variety of technology companies in connection with equity financings and corporate matters including 11 Honoré, Finexio, WiserCare, HealthLoop, LivWell Health, Jurni, FishFishMe, HoneyBee, Synthicity, ServiceMesh, Theia.IO, BillForward, and Zordera
- Represented Diageo Plc in its sale of Chalone Estate Vineyard (producer of award-winning Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in the Chalone appellation in Monterey County) to Foley Family Wines.
- Represented Diageo Plc in the acquisition of its U.S. and British wine units by the Australia's Treasury Wine Estates (TWE.AX) for $552 million.
- Represented Walz Group in its sale to LenderLive Services.
- Represented Synthicity, the maker of Urban Canvas, in its acquisition by Autodesk.
- Represented ServiceMesh in its sale to Computer Sciences Corp.
- Advised on Sony Computer Entertainment America's separate acquisitions of Incognito Entertainment, Red Zone Interactive, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch Productions and Zipper Interactive, developers of consumer software entertainment products.
- Advised on Experian's separate acquisitions of MetaReward, a leading online customer acquisition company; PromiseMark, a developer of online consumer protection software; and ThermoMedia, an Internet-based marketing company.
- Represented Factor Support Network Pharmacies in its sale to American Service & Product.
- Represented Essence Digital, an award winning digital agency with global reach and Fortune 100 technology clients, in acquisition of mobile advertising company Point Reach, and digital media group Black Bag. Acted as outside general counsel for North American expansion.
- Advised on the sale of Paymo to Boku, a mobile payment provider.
- Represented DNA Direct in its sale to Medco Health Solutions.
- Advised on the sale of HealthNet Dental and HealthNet Vision to SafeGuard Health Enterprises.
- Acted as company counsel in spin out of therapeutic and related intellectual property assets from UCSF.
- Represented startup software company in strategic transaction with Zimmer Biomet.
- Represented digital play studio Toca Boca in a licensing deals with Amazon and Microsoft and distribution deals with partners like VTech.
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Applying a Legal Bandaid to Defective Acts: Delaware Law Creates New Procedures to Ratify Defective Corporate Acts," March 26, 2014
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "Go For De Novo: FDA’s Revised Approach to Medical Device Accessories," February 19, 2015
- "Interface without Regulation – FDA Deregulates MDDS and Related Technologies," February 12, 2015
- "FDA Issues Guidance for Low-Risk General Wellness Products," January 23, 2015
- "Proposed health IT strategy aims to promote innovation," June 11, 2014
- "Mobile Medical App Regulations on the Move – Proposed Bills To Further Alter the Regulatory Landscape of Mobile Medical Applications," March 31, 2014
- "The FDA Releases Long-Awaited Final Guidance on Mobile Medical Applications," September 24, 2013
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- "U.S. and China Strike Visa Deal," November 11, 2014
Venture Law Blog Posts
Video Game Law Blog Posts
- "Investment Trends in the Gaming Industry," December 1, 2014
- Getting In With the Emerging CrowdThe Recorder, May 9, 2015
- Wearable Technology Poses Regulatory QuandariesLaw360, May 5, 2015
- Synthicity Sells to Autodesk With Help From Sheppard MullinDaily Journal, April 30, 2015
- Sheppard Mullin Guides Toca Boca Licensing With AmazonDaily Journal, December 30, 2014
- Sheppard Mullin Helps Toca Boca in AgreementDaily Journal, October 23, 2014
- Sheppard Mullin Guides App Developer in Tablet AgreementThe Recorder, October 16, 2014
- Is Video Game Money Subject to Taxation?Daily Journal, September 23, 2014
- Law360, August 13, 2013
- Speaker, "Term Sheet Overview: Top Terms To Understand," NexCubed, September 13, 2017
- Moderator, "Nobody Accomplishes Success by Themselves: Building and Motivating Teams," San Francisco, April 7, 2016
- Panelist, "Digital Health Innovation: Project to Product, Gladstone Institute, San Francisco, May 14, 2014
- VLAB Founders' SeriesSan Francisco, March 27, 2018
- March 20, 2018
- April 6, 2017
- February 28, 2017
- UCLA School of Law, May 16th - May17th, 2016
- March 15, 2016
- October 15, 2015
- Presented by Runway and Sheppard MullinJune 9, 2015
- 7th Annual ConferenceMay 2014
- Intellectual Property, Regulation, and FinancingGladstone Institute, San Francisco, May 14, 2014
- Sheppard Mullin & SVBApril 22, 2014
- Advisor, VLAB
- Catalyst Award Program Advisor, Clinical and Translational Science Institute - UCSF
- Member, California Bar Association
- Advisor, Astia
- Board Member, Compass Family Services