- J.D., Michigan State University, 2000, cum laude
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University, 1995
- District of Columbia
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Timothy Cremen is a special counsel in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
Areas of Practice
Timothy's practice focuses on intellectual property litigation and counseling involving a wide range of product areas, including medical devices, network security, vehicle telematics, consumer electronics, surveying systems, telecommunications, sporting goods, mobile phones, automotive parts, and rubber chemicals. He appears regularly in federal courts throughout the United States, including the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Texas, the District of Delaware, the Northern District of Illinois, and the Northern and Southern Districts of California.
Timothy also appears regularly before the International Trade Commission, including in two recent high-profile cases for Align Technology (337-TA-833), and Pacific Bioscience Laboratories (337-TA-959), where the ALJ has recommended entry of a General Exclusion Order.
Timothy also has substantial experience with inter partes review proceedings. He has successfully represented both Petitioners and Patent Owners in proceedings related to a broad range of technologies, including digital survey systems, telematics, medical devices, and telecommunications.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Timothy was of counsel with another major law firm.
- Feinmetall GmbH and TechnoProbe S.p.A. in a patent infringement matter involving their patent directed to semiconductor testing devices, and defending their patent before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1 in several matters defending its semiconductor-related patents before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Pacific Bioscience, a L'Oreal company, in a patent and trade dress infringement matter involving the company's highly successful line of Clarisonic products. In this matter, we successfully stopped the importation of knock-offs by over 20 companies into the US through actions filed in US District Court and the US International Trade Commission, and are awaiting the issuance of a general exclusion order against all other infringing products by the Commission.
- Align Technology, Inc. in various patent infringement matters relating to its patents directed to clear dental aligner technology before the International Trade Commission and various district courts, and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- InfoBionic, Inc. in a patent infringement matter involving heart monitoring technology.
- Cesca Therapeutics in a patent infringement matter involving point-of-care blood separation devices used to process and prepare cell concentrates from blood and bone marrow aspirates, and antitrust claims related to the filing of a sham litigation.
- OpinionLab, Inc. in various patent infringement matters relating to its patents directed to digital survey methods, and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- BMO Harris, N.A. in several patent infringement actions involving check imaging, authentication methods, and secure communications and methods of payment across websites from smartphone and related apps.
- NEC Corp. and NEC Corp. of America in patent infringement actions involving computer servers and network communications, protocols, and establishing secure communications.
- Flexsys America, LP in a patent infringement action involving antidegradients used for tires and other rubber products.
- HTI IP, LLC and Networkfleet, Inc. in a patent infringement matter involving vehicle telematics.
- Konami Digital Entertainment in a patent infringement matter involving musical video games including Rock Band® and Rock Revolution® rhythm games.
- Bridgestone Sports Co., Ltd. in a patent infringement action against Acushnet Company involving golf ball.
- Aeromechanical Services Ltd. in a patent dispute related to airliner performance tracking systems.
- Koito Manufacturing in a patent dispute related to injection molding.